About First Sarasota
Godly vision is an essential element in the birth of any new congregation. It was no different when the First Baptist Church of Sarasota (now First Sarasota) was organized in 1902 with five visionary members. The present location of the church was first established in 1920 when property was purchased at the corner of Main and Adelia Streets. The church was officially incorporated on December 23, 1923.
First Sarasota was a founding church in what became known as the Southwest Florida Baptist Association. The first Sanctuary, now serving as a chapel, was dedicated on December 14, 1924. Property immediately east of the church on Main Street was purchased in 1951 and the present Sanctuary cornerstone was laid May 29, 1962. On June 4, 1980, architects were hired for the construction of a Family Life Center and Education building, which is located adjacent to the northeast corner of the Sanctuary building.
In recent years, First Sarasota has refurbished a significant portion of its campus and added new staff members and ministries to meet the increasing need of a community hungry to hear the gospel of Jesus Christ. In January 2006, an additional piece of property located immediately east of the church on Main Street was purchased, and plans were begun for a possible new education building, as well as additional parking. With the “rediscovery” of downtown Sarasota as a residential neighborhood, First Sarasota rededicated itself to serving the needs of the entire greater Sarasota area as “The Downtown Baptist Church”.
A varied and dynamic ministry, First Sarasota continues to grow in its vision and hope for the future, and contributes a significant Christian witness in its second century of existence in one of America’s premier cities, Sarasota!