Trinity Presbyterian Church is seeking a full-time Worship Pastor/Director to work closely with its pastoral staff in leading all who gather to worship God in a way that invites and ushers them into participation in His work of renewal by grace. The Worship Pastor/Director would also be responsible for recruiting and equipping support staff and volunteers.
WEEKLY WORSHIP PLANNING AND LEADERSHIP
• Work with the Senior Pastor to create a plan for every worship service that connects music, liturgy, and preaching in a unified whole for the spiritual formation of all who gather.
◦ Work with the Senior Pastor to develop scriptural themes for each worship service.
◦ Work with the Senior Pastor to identify songs, texts, prayers, creeds, and other elements that support the scriptural themes.
◦ Work with the Office Administrator to prepare the worship bulletin and visual media (slides, graphics, video clips) to support each service.
• Develop teams dedicated and equipped to lead worship services.
◦ Recruit teams of musicians and others who will carry out the various parts of the worship service.
◦ Prepare music and schedule musicians (instrumentalists, vocalists, and special choirs).
◦ Host weekly rehearsals to prepare team members to lead in worship and ensure that each knows his or her role and is equipped to fill it.
◦ Cultivate a sense of purpose, unity, and love for leading worship among the teams.
• Be the lead worshiper during the worship service.
◦ Lead in singing, playing guitar or piano, and in various liturgical roles.
◦ Lead in directing other team members.
◦ Anticipate ways to draw the congregation into deeper engagement and communicate those as needed.
• Oversee technical production for the worship service
◦ Manage the sound booth, its staff, and volunteers
◦ Care for and purchase new equipment as needed.
◦ Facilitate production support for other events as needed (preschool programs, women’s ministry events, etc.)
OVERALL WORSHIP/MUSIC PLANNING AND DEVELOPMENT
• Through Christ-centered worship, tell the story of God’s work in His Church and the world.
• Create a worship plan that combines both stability and consistency with creativity and variety in music selection.
◦ Honor God’s work through the best of various styles of music (primarily traditional hymn arrangements, hymns with contemporary arrangements, and contemporary worship songs).
◦ Work with the Senior Pastor to introduce new songs that would support upcoming themes for worship.
• Identify and develop new musicians and other worship leaders from within the congregation and associated campus ministries.
• Inspire and challenge music teams to believe in the beauty of what they can produce.
• Explore connections to the local arts community and how those connections could further Trinity’s vision and mission.
• Be proactive in identifying ways to improve weekly worship services.
◦ Bachelor’s degree required
◦ Master’s degree (particularly Theological training) preferred
◦ Membership in or willingness to transfer membership to the Presbyterian Church in America;
◦ Experience leading a modern worship band ensemble, including leading singing, providing instrumental accompaniment, and developing the band.
◦ Demonstrated passion for enabling others to engage and grow as worshipers
◦ Proficiency at guitar or piano sufficient for leading rehearsals and worship
• Character and Skills
◦ Passionate for promoting the glory of God through the gospel of Jesus Christ
◦ Committed to creating a worship service that invites everyone to engage both their hearts and minds
◦ Seeks to grow in spiritual vitality and vulnerability
◦ Consistently pursues excellence and creativity
◦ Combines taking initiative with taking instruction–both a self-starter and a team player
◦ Enjoys recruiting, leading, and caring for lay leaders
◦ Has capacity for organization and follow-through
◦ Familiar with live-streaming, live sound production, and ProPresenter for slides/media.
• Theological/Vision Fit
◦ Compatible with evangelical, Reformed theological commitments
◦ Committed to Trinity’s Vision, Values, and Ministry Plan.
◦ Reports to the Senior Pastor, who conducts annual reviews.
Email the following items, making sure your full name is in the filename of anything you send.
1. Cover letter explaining your interest and fit for the position (please include your contact information)
2. Resume/CV — please include a list of 3-5 references (with contact information)
3. Attach or provide links to file(s) of your choosing that will help the committee gauge fit and qualifications for this position (e.g., this may include mp3 or mp4 files exhibiting your work, documents summarizing your approach to worship, etc.)