In coordination with the Director of Music Ministries, the Assistant Director of Music-Informal Worship is to support the growth and development of the music and worship ministry through spiritual and musical leadership while having primary responsibilities in the area of Informal Worship.
Corporate worship is at the very foundation of our ministry framework. As such, the primary goal for music stang is to assemble a team that best enables our worship services to grow and flourish as faithful expressions of our values. Secondarily, using music to facilitate additional work of the church is important—discipleship, outreach and building community.
Leader as Shepherd
• With the heart of a pastor, provide musical leadership for the informal worship service
• Disciple and care for informal worship musicians—instrumentalists and vocalists—leading them to understand the nature and value of their call, purpose, and contribution to corporate worship
Leader in Context of Relationships
• For those under the assistant director’s care, create a place to belong by facilitating fellowship opportunities and building a sense of community
• Demonstrate understanding that ministry is most eective when realized in the context of and in relationship with a larger team—pastors, program sta, and administrative sta
• Make meaningful contributions to sta culture as you attend and participate in weekly sta meetings, sta retreats,
and times of fellowship with the larger team
• Work in close cooperation with and be accountable to the Director of Music Ministries
• To best serve a multigenerational congregation that oers both traditional and informal worship services, demonstrate a high regard for the musical heart language of our congregation at large and safeguard a collaborative relationship with a stylistically diverse music sta
• Eectively communicate and collaborate with the Director of Technical Support Ministries (A/V team).
• Participate in the life of the church
Leadership as a Musician
• Use music as a means rather than an end in itself to help realize the church’s vision
• Provide musical leadership that both pursues excellence and extends grace
• Recruit, organize, equip, rehearse, and direct a team of staff and volunteer musicians to support informal worship services and other services and events that use similar musical styles (e.g., weddings, funerals, concerts, Christmas Fest, etc.)
• Make recommendations concerning informal worship staffing needs
• Keeping current with relevant resources and technology through continued education in worship leadership, music, and theological studies (e.g., attending classes, workshops, seminars, reading, self-directed study, etc.) • As needed, compose or arrange music (scores, charts, instrumental parts) to support the worship band ministry
• In coordination with leadership from other ministries and as the department’s workload allows, provide music and/or musical leadership for other areas in the life of our church upon request
Leadership in Worship
• Taking a creative lead, collaborate with pastors and music sta to plan worship services—primarily informal services
• Provide vocal leadership and accompaniment (guitar) for worship services—primarily informal services
• While solos or “performance” pieces may be incorporated, prioritize congregational singing
• Assist pastors with leading and musically connecting various parts of the liturgy (call to worship, armation of faith, confession, etc.)
• Participate in other worship services upon request: traditional worship, healing services, and seasonal services—Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Holy Week, Advent, Christmas Eve, etc.
• Eectively organize all relevant details to carry out assigned duties
• Use CCB (our church management software) to coordinate building usage and resources
• Use Planning Center: Services for worship planning, scheduling the worship band, and making resources charts, lead sheets, recordings) available to participants
• Communicate relevant information to administrative sta for social media, electronic and print publications, and to the tech team for A/V support
• Collaborate with the Director of Music Ministries to prepare and operate within music ministry’s annual budget
• Keep the Director of Music Ministries informed of any band-related equipment/instruments that need to be repaired or replaced (e.g., keyboards, amps, drums, etc.)
• Maintain a library of music and resources for the worship band (charts, lead sheets, instrumental parts, recordings…)
• Assist with copyright license compliance and reporting
• Collaborating with the Director of Music Ministries, secure an appropriate substitute at the time of vacation and other absences
• Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Pastor or Director of Music Ministries
• Reports directly to the Director of Music Ministries
• Accountable to the senior pastor and to the session through the worship and personnel committees
• Be a committed Christian who exemplifies the same characteristics of those for elder, having no disparity between faith and practice and embracing the “Essential Tenets of the Faith” (EPC)
• Demonstrate understanding of God’s Word, the Gospel message and familiarity with Reformed worship traditions
• Be a competent musician (vocal/guitar) who can lead, rehearse, and communicate with both professional and volunteer musicians
• Have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience). Formal studies in music, worship and/or theology are highly desirable.
• Experienced worship planner and worship band leader
• While conversant with staff and congregants whose musical heart language fits various styles, be a musician whose musical heart language best fits our informal/band-led worship service
• Able to use traditional and theologically rich hymns in new ways (traditional tunes with band accompaniment or traditional text with new tunes)
• Skilled composer or arranger capable of producing music to support informal worship
• Proficient with music notation software to produce lead sheets, charts, and instrumental parts
Please send a resume & any available links to videos to Johnny Long by email.