• The Director of Children’s Ministry (DCM) oversees ministry programming for St. Alban’s children (newborns up to sixth grade).
• Ministry Vision: The DCM, empowered by the Holy Spirit and with a team of committed volunteer and staff leaders, is to “plant and water” (1 Corinthians 3:6) the seeds of Christian faith in the children of St. Alban’s. We prayerfully envision these planted seeds growing into a lifetime of Christian discipleship rooted and grounded in the Gospel of Jesus Christ (Colossians 2:7, Ephesians 3:17).
• Main Programs:
o Children’s Ministry: Nursery, Sunday School classes (10:15 AM), Children’s Chapel (9:00 and 11:15 AM), Vacation Bible Camp, Easter Egg Hunt, Fall Festival, and other activities.
• The DCM reports solely to the Associate Rector of the parish.
• Hiring for this position is contingent on satisfactory completion of a background check and certification in the Diocese of Texas’s Safe Church Program (both Safeguarding God’s Children and Safeguarding God’s People).
• Three weeks paid vacation annually. After five years in this position, employee is entitled to Four weeks paid vacation.
• Eligible for defined contribution pension plan at start of employment. Church will match employee contributions up to maximum allowed for participating employees.
• Medical, dental, and vision benefits per Diocese of Texas policy.
• Annual budget of $1,200 for continuing education. One week of time off for continuing education activities, including one Sunday.
• This is a full-time salaried position.
• Church office hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, Monday through Friday. The DCM sets own weekly work hours during parish business hours. Must be present on Sundays from 8:30 AM until 12:45 PM. This is to ensure Children’s Chapel runs smoothly and to be on hand to meet parents and children.
• The DCM shall select one weekday to serve as a day off.
• Children’s Sunday School: evaluate and select curricula that align with St. Alban’s mission and values, train, organize, and schedule teachers, make sure materials are ready and in classrooms each Sunday.
• Children’s Chapel: Lead (and equip volunteers to lead) Children’s Chapel every Sunday during 9:00 and 11:15 AM services, organize and schedule lesson and liturgy plans, communicate lesson to clergy, ensure materials are ready, ensure an attractive, clean, child friendly worship space. Ensure timely and orderly dismissal and return to worship.
• Special Children’s Classes: With clergy collaboration, offer at least two baptism preparation classes per year for parents presenting children for baptism. Offer at least one annual “Come to the Table” Communion class.
• Nursery: Ensure appropriate staffing, security, and resources for nursery. Evaluate, hire, and train nursery workers as needed. Handle scheduling of nursery workers for all events for which nursery will be available. Ensure nursery staff are CPR-trained. Ensure that sign-in is efficient, clear, and enforced. Ensure room is clean, inviting, and stocked with supplies each Sunday.
• Volunteers: Develop relationships with lay members of the parish to recruit and equip church members to lead various children’s programming as Sunday School teachers and ministry assistants.
• Council of Advisors: St. Alban’s embraces a collaborative model of ministry. The DCM invites four to ten members of the parish to serve on a council of advisors which has had various names in the past: “Kids Council” or “Parent Committee.” Council members are parents of St.Alban’s children and youth. They are supporters and allies of the ministry and provide a helpful sounding board to the DCM. The Council meets as needed at the direction of the DMCY but must have at least one meeting per year.
• Vacation Bible Camp: Plan and run an annual weeklong summer VBC for fifty to eighty children. Recruit a team of volunteer leaders to plan and run VBC. May hire part-time staff to ensure sufficient personnel. VBC’s goal is to serve as both an event for existing church families (for fellowship and spiritual growth and fun), and as an outreach to our community.
• Easter Egg Hunt/Fall Festival (or Trunk or Treat): Coordinate seasonal children’s events for parish and greater Waco community.
• Christmas Eve Service: Coordinate with clergy and staff a child/family-friendly worship experience on Christmas Eve, typically at our 3:00 PM service.
• Wednesday Night Activities: For Parish events like our Lenten and Advent dinner series, provide nursery care and a children’s program to run at the same time as the adult program.
• Ministry Communication: Via written articles in church newsletter, occasional in-person updates at vestry meetings, and weekly parish emails.
• Finances: Monitor Children’s Ministry expenses to ensure expenditures remain within budget.
Submit ministry-related receipts in a timely manner.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• Vibrant personal faith in Christ and commitment to the mission of St. Alban’s: proclaiming to all, in word and deed, the grace of God in Jesus Christ
• Belief the Old and New Testaments of the Bible as God’s Word written, containing all things necessary for salvation; Agreement with the statement of faith found in the Nicene and Apostle’s Creed.
• A commitment to creating a children’s and youth ministry that is fun, safe, and Christ-filled.
• A commitment to excellence and professionalism.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, ensuring all ministry-related communications are frequent, timely, clear, and thorough.
• Bachelor’s degree or higher. Experience with children and Christian education. Collaborative team player. Skilled in time management and ability to delegate. Comfortable with using email, phone, web and social media to communicate about and promote ministries and events.
• Can identify, recruit, manage, and encourage volunteer teachers and leaders.
• The Episcopal Diocese of Texas requires that the person in this role be a confirmed Episcopalian. Special exceptions may be made with the approval of the bishop. Non- Episcopalian applicants must be supportive of Episcopal tradition and worship.
Applicants should send résumé and cover letter by email or to:
St. Alban’s Episcopal Church
Attn: The Rev. Aaron M. G. Zimmerman
2900 West Waco Drive
Waco, TX 76710