The primary role of the Discipleship Pastor will be to lead and grow our Missional Communities while also giving leadership to all the ministry areas under this umbrella which includes oversight of the Explore and Equip classes, our Membership and Assimilation process and management, and our Welcome Ministries. Depending on the strength of his up front teaching gifts, he may serve on the teaching team for Sunday morning gatherings.
- Heart for discipleship, Organizational skills, team building, leadership development
- Philosophical understanding of small groups that is in line with building “Missional Communities” with rhythms that encourage people to be self-leading and self-feeding (Examples would be Jeff Vanderstelt @ Soma and Todd Engstrom @ Austin Stone)
- Our primary way of making disciples will be through our Missional Communities (MC’s), this is a work in progress and will need a lot of attention and leadership to build it into the ministry it will eventually become
- The Discipleship Pastor will own all aspects of assimilation (Missional communities, Membership, Equipping and Welcome Ministries)
- This position demands a visionary leader with experience in building, developing and leading teams.
- Minimum 5 years serving as a pastor in the area of Missional Communities, Assimilation and discipleship in a congregation of 400+.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited, theologically conservative Bible College or seminary.
- Formal training and verifiable success in the area of discipleship using Missional Communities as the primary way to make disciples. We desire to build Missional Communities similar to those found at Doxa Church, Soma Church and Austin Stone. We are not there but want to build our discipleship ministry with this philosophical direction as our guide.
- Theology that is in line with Creekside Church’s doctrine and Statement of Faith
- Willingness to work within a team leadership structure.
- Reports to the Lead Pastor with additional accountability to the Spiritual Leadership Team
- Hired by recommendation of the Lead Pastor and the Spiritual Leadership Team.
- Dismissal of this person must be by a unified consensus vote of the Spiritual Leadership Team.
- Coordinates with other members of the church staff and functions as the point person for Missional Communities, Connections Ministry, and Explore and Equip Classes
- Compensation to be discussed in private during the interview process
The Discipleship Pastor will possess evident godly character, engaging teaching gifts, demonstrated servant leadership, exceptional relational ability, and proven team-building skills, all of these affirmed in the local church setting.
- Exhibits the spiritual traits of Jesus, submissive to the will of the Father, filled with the Holy Spirit, striving to obey in everything.
- Christlikeness: humility, purity, discipline (self-control), patience, compassion
- Exhibits the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23).
- Gives evidence to being a man of prayer and of the Word, sensitive to what the Spirit of God is saying to Creekside Church and has a heart for making disciples who make disciples.
- Values and works hard to build volunteer ministry teams and pours time and energy in building up and equipping individual volunteers within those teams.
- Measurable growth year over year in the building, growing and equipping of teams and leaders to do the work of ministry particularly the assimilation of people in MC’s.
- Demonstrates solid support for the Spiritual Leadership Team.
- Possesses ability to work both as a leader within his realms of ministry and to function as a ministry peer on the Pastoral Staff team.
- Endorses and supports Creekside Church’s doctrine and philosophy of ministry, especially regarding MC’s and its primary function in making disciples at Creekside Church.
- Able to integrate the ministries he leads with the rest of the church. NO Silos.
- Contributes to the unity of the Pastoral Staff team and works hard to resolve conflict when it arises.
- Works as a team player even if it requires doing something not on the job description.
- Helps to create a fun, safe, exciting place to work.
- Gift mix that includes teaching and leading, building teams and a heart for discipleship
- This person will be instrumental in welcoming new attendees to Creekside and assisting their connection to the body through MC’s, Explore and Equip classes, Welcome Ministries and Membership
- Track record of building and leading teams and owns a Peer-to-Peer ministry philosophy: equipping others to do the work of ministry.
- Gifted teacher/communicator. Strong teaching gifts are required to accomplish the goals of this ministry job. Able to connect with adults at various places on their spiritual journey helping them grow as disciples.
- Strong people skills, with the demonstrated/proven ability to function as a leader-of-leaders in accordance with Ephesians 4.
- On-going commitment to lifelong learning as it relates to this position.
- High capacity worker, self-led and able to manage time well.
- Able to handle the demands of building and growing a large ministry area that will be the primary discipleship strategy for the adults at Creekside Church.
- Strong sense of calling to serve as the champion for discipleship and assimilation, growing missional communities and helping people find their place in our church family (to be served and to serve).
- Committed to making disciples personally with a proven pattern of discipleship gifts and skills
- Develop, build and oversee all aspects of our MC’s (Leaders & Hosts/Training & Equipping/Strategic Development and expansion of MC’s/Administration/Encouragement and development of Leaders), again this is very much in the building phase and we will need a builder committed to making this a reality for our church family
- Recruit, build and oversee Welcome Ministry Leaders and Directors (Connection Center Team including Greeters, Ushers and Parking team/Living Waters Café Director/Communion Team/Barnabas Book Nook resource center)
- Develop, build and Oversee the continued development and implementation of our “Explore Classes” (Explore Creekside, Explore Baptism, Explore Membership) helping people to assimilate into our church family
- Oversee the continued development and implementation of our “Equip Classes” (this is in process)
- Assist other pastoral staff in developing discipleship material for Church members
- Participate in the On-Call rotation of Staff Pastors, assisting in Counseling (Marriage/Family/Crisis Situations/Etc.)
- Assist Elders in implementation of mission/vision of the Church
- Identify, Develop, and Disciple New MC Leaders and expand groups
- Encourage, train and equip leaders in the Connections Team ministry building adequate teams and processes to effectively assimilate people into our church family
- Lead and develop Explore and Equip classes
- If gifted and willing there is an opportunity to serve on the Sunday morning teaching team as assigned by the Lead Pastor
50% (Missional Communities)
Oversee all aspects of our Missional Communities (Leaders & Hosts/Training & Equipping/Strategic Development and expansion of MC’s/Administration/Encouragement and development of Leaders)
30% (Welcome Ministries)
Oversee Welcome Ministry Leaders and Directors (Connection Center Team including Greeters, Ushers and Parking team/Living Waters Café Director/Communion Team/Barnabas Book Nook resource center)
10% (Explore and Equip Classes)
- Oversee the continued development and implementation of our “Explore Classes” (Explore Creekside, Explore Baptism, Explore Membership) helping people to assimilate into our church family
- Oversee the continued development and implementation of our “Equip Classes” (a series of classes to help disciples grow in their walk with Jesus)
10% (Pastoral Support)
Work as part of the Pastoral Staff team in the general shepherding of Creekside Church as part of the “on-call” team (Hospital visits, counseling, prayer, etc)
If you are interested in applying for this position, you are invited to send your portfolio by email…please include the following:
- Current Resume with picture
- Teaching/Sermon videos or links
- 3-5 minute video introducing yourself (cell phone is acceptable) answering a few questions:
- Your name and where you are from
- What excites you about this position and how you might fit this role
- A brief highlight or description of your experience as a leader and a team builder
- We are a fun team…tell us what fun things you will bring to our team (ex: Mike, our Lead Pastor, is a practical joker…usually by jumping out from behind things to scare us)
Thank you for showing interest in the Discipleship Pastor role at Creekside Church. At Creekside we have hundreds of people that are doing what we can to be and make disciples…at our weekly large gatherings on Sunday and at our smaller gatherings throughout the week. This role will demand a visionary leader with experience in building, developing, and leading teams. We have opened up this national search to look for the right person to join our fun, crazy and gifted team. We have been praying for you and know that God will lead and direct us!