The children’s and youth ministry at Snellville UMC has had a long history of providing creative, relevant, and fun ministry environments with a focus on growing in relationship with Jesus. In light of cultural shifts and social changes over the years, the Director will be responsible for rebuilding the children’s and youth ministry programs alongside a team of dedicated volunteers and overwhelming support from the congregation. The candidate will need to bring high levels of passion and energy for undergirding the many different aspects of our church’s ministry to children and youth.
Our hope is to find a Director who, in addition to programming, can continue to build a team of volunteers that can work within a unified vision to serve the whole family. Furthermore, the Director needs to be innovative, detail oriented, a great collaborator, and willing to step outside the church walls to be in partnership with the community.
Interested candidates for this position should have an understanding of United Methodist tradition, 3-5 years of experience working with children and/or youth and have a college degree (bachelor’s degree preferred).
The Director of Children and Youth Ministries helps guide the children and youth ministry to accomplish the church’s mission of “Doing Life Together.” The Director will do this by overseeing Snellville UMC’s ministries with children (birth through 5th grade), youth (6th – 12th grade), and their families in such a way that children and youth are encouraged to grow in their faith and be empowered to take their place in the life and ministry of the church and community. This position also serves the congregation by providing spiritual and general support to the Snellville United Methodist Church ministry.
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full-time
COMPENSATION RANGE: $40k-$45k
REPORTS TO: Connections Director and Staff-Parish Relations Committee
RELATES CLOSELY TO: Pastors, Program and Administrative Staff, and Volunteers.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree preferred, a minimum of 2 years of college course work required
PREFERRED SKILLS: 3-5 years of ministry experience with children and youth
- Experienced leader who loves God, children, youth, and parents
- An enthusiastic leader with experience building a children’s program that connects with the surrounding community.
- An individual that has vital planning and organizational skills
- Comfortable engaging all people and able to communicate with them in a variety of ways (verbal, phone, email, social platforms)
- Excellent people skills, including interacting with parents, volunteers, and children/youth. Must be comfortable interacting with adults.
- Create community partnerships (local schools and agencies that serve children/youth).
- Coordinate church-wide activities that encourage and reach out to the community. Family activities to help them get involved at our church: (i.e., VBS, movie on the lawn, camps/retreats, etc.)
- Recruiting, managing, and training volunteers for children’s and youth ministries.
- Scheduling volunteers for Sunday school, Youth Group, and special events alongside the Family Ministry Council.
- Ensures all hands-on volunteers have had a background check and been oriented to the Safe Sanctuaries protection policy.
- Communicates information about youth and children’s ministries to the church.
- Responsible for implementing a creative, Bible and faith-based, age-appropriate program that considers the cultural diversity in our Church and Community.
- Coordinate Sunday activity /Sunday school for the children’s and youth program: including curriculums, volunteers, and activities related to establishing an interesting and exciting program.
- Collaborating with clergy and ministry team for special worship planning and participation (e.g., children’s moment, Youth Sunday).
- Creating and implementing family special events (i.e., mission projects, Faith Milestones, etc.).
- Oversees the integration of children and youth into the life and ministry of the church.
ALL CHURCH RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attends weekly worship.
- Attends monthly board meetings and committee meetings applicable to the children and youth ministry or as the senior pastor requests.
- Cooperates with church staff/volunteers to create meaningful, church-wide, intergenerational events.
How To Apply
Resumes can be sent to Adam Witter by email.