Reports To: Senior Pastor Effective: 9/1/23
Directly Supervises: Choirs, section leaders, organist, and guest musicians
Status: Part Time, 15hrs/wk
To promote leadership in developing and implementing the music ministries of Calvary United Methodist Church, and to actively engage the congregation in worship through music.
● To ensure the music ministry affirms our mission to be a church where “faith is fostered, community is cherished, and Christ’s love thrives.”
● To work collaboratively with the pastors and staff to create worship experiences through music.
● To nurture, challenge, and encourage the love of music within our various ministries.
● Coordinate music at all worship services including any vocal and/or instrumental performances to align with our sermons, scripture, and mission.
● Direct and lead the Calvary Chancel Choir during the 11AM Sunday Service and other special services, not limited to: Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Palm Sunday, Holy Week services, Easter, Pentecost.
● Direct the Calvary Handbell Choir to play bi-monthly at the 9AM or 11AM Sunday service.
● Supervise the direction of Calvary’s children’s music; singing or playing monthly at the 11AM Sunday Service.
● Recruit and encourage musicians, both vocal and instrumental, within the congregation and promote the music program.
● Maintain regular choir rehearsals and communicate weekly with choir members via the church software Community Church Builder.
● Select and purchase choir music within the church prescribed budget, and maintain such music through a library system.
● Provide the church Administrator with song lyrics, other bulletin information, and music rehearsal/events schedule for the weekly E-newsletter.
● Participate in the weekly staff meetings.
● Supervise the staff section leaders, organist, and guest musicians and arrange for their compensation.
● Submit an annual budget to the Pastor to fund the purchase of music, supplies, instruments, and the arrangement and care of (non-keyboard) instruments.
● Work an estimated 15 hours per week in fulfillment of the above essential functions.
● Receive 80 hours paid vacation annually
● A four-week notice is requested from the employee before terminating employment.
● Active and strong relationship with Jesus Christ and a passion for ministering through music.
● Will be committed to the ministry of the United Methodist Church and to Calvary United Methodist Church.
● Practices Christ-like leadership in all working relationships, is a self -starter, and employs team-effort initiative.
● 3 years of contextual music leadership experience, church music program experience a plus.
● Bachelor’s Degree in Music or equivalent.
● Sufficient piano skills to fill-in when the organist is away.
● Ability to lift up to 35lbs
● Ability to climb steps
● Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to lead intergenerationally.. Demonstrates the skills of active listening and openly accepts constructive criticism. Productively
engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Demonstrates the skills of active listening and openly accepts constructive criticism. Holds others accountable in a spirit of love.
Engages diverse groups positively, with a demeanor of optimism and abundance. Is welcoming to all.
- Team Building Skills: Guides choir members and musicians in the process of sharing best practices in order to identify and solve common problems. Works with church leaders to regularly assess the health of teams and musical groups. Creates and communicates vision, direction and goals for the team.
- Spiritual Maturity: Has a robust Christian faith that models faithful practices. Exhibits humility, teachability, accountability and servant leadership in all relationships.
Demonstrates an understanding of Christian principles and the Scriptures, as well as familiarity with Christian music in a variety of styles. Ability to suggest appropriate hymns based on the church season, sermon themes, position in the service, and other factors.
- Influencing Others: Encourages others to cooperate and participate. Provides resources that support sound decision making. Uses verbal and nonverbal skills to communicate respect for others. Generates energy, passion, and commitment to ideas. Creates a comfortable atmosphere that is inviting to others.
Cover letter and resume can be emailed.