POSITION AND CHURCH OVERVIEW
A church desiring to align itself with the will and calling of God, Minier Christian Church (MCC) is seeking a Lead Minister to provide leadership to the congregation and staff, facilitate the pulpit ministry and participate in the various other ministries of the church and represent Christ and MCC within the Love20 area (Minier and its nearby towns).
The ideal person for this position will not only be a leader, but also a person who inspires, encourages, and enables others to lead in Jesus’s name. We desire numeric growth, but we also desire deeply to guide our people to grow deeper in their walk with Jesus. Our mission, like any Bible-believing church, is discipleship and evangelism. We want to reach unbelievers/nonbelievers, and we believe one of the most effective ways to accomplish this is through teaching, training, and empowering faithful followers.
MCC is a healthy church of approximately 220 average weekly attendees that attracts congregants from a larger regional area. Prior to 2020, average weekly attendance was approximately 290. From 2020-2022, we averaged approximately 171.
We employee three full-time staff members – an Associate Minister, Student Minister, and Administrative Assistant – and one part-time Worship Director. Our current model includes 10 teams, mostly lead by volunteers, under which much of the ministry of the church is conducted: students, kids, worship, adult groups, missions, finance, connections, hospitality, property, safety.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
• Facilitate the pulpit ministry, preaching 38-40 times a year and filling the pulpit with internal and external guest preachers who compliment the teaching strategy and/or represent MCC’s supported missions.
• The Lead Minister is ultimately responsible for all aspects of corporate worship services, and is expected to work closely with the Associate Minister and the Worship Director to offer and execute spiritually substantial services that edify and equip the congregation.
• The Lead Minister should put thoughtful effort into sermon topics and sermon series, including communicating with the elder board about such considerations.
• Work with the Associate Minister to shepherd the flock and perform general pastoral tasks: baptisms, weddings and funerals, visitation for the purposes of caring for the sick, encouraging and rebuking congregants, non-clinical counseling services, presence at community events, etc.
• Work with the Associate Minister to provide leadership to the ministry teams, including recruiting and equipping the volunteer leads and helping the teams work together for common purposes.
• Emphasize church membership, including introducing new attendees to the doctrines, values, and vision of MCC and encouraging attendees to become members (and communicate the expectations for attendance and service that accompany membership).
• Participate in providing day-to-day management and oversight of the spiritual, emotional, and relational health of the staff collectively and in regard to their respective areas of responsibility. Participate in conducting annual evaluations, as well as any potential staff hires.
• While the Lead Minister is not technically a member of the elder board, he will attend most board meetings and participate in an advisory capacity, working together with the elders to conduct the business of and oversee the life, direction, and vision of the church.
• Perform other duties as requested by the elder board and mutually agreed upon.
• A warm, compassionate, caring attitude and a humble professional and personal approach, as a servant-leader in the mold of Christ.
• Focus on outreach, actively working to introduce Christ and MCC to the Love20 community.
• Exemplification of the qualities listed in 1st Timothy 3:1-13 and Titus 1:5-9.
• A spirit-led pastoral heart, full of sincerity and kindness, desiring to see others flourish. Honest, forthright, dependable, trustworthy; demonstrably high character and history of integrity.
• Passionate about personal spiritual development and helping foster it in others.
• Maintain a beneficial work/life balance, working hard for MCC but also making family time a priority, taking vacation as needed/ desired and encouraging other staff to do the same.
• Effective communication in the following areas: personally, in pastoral settings and in relationship with others, corporately regarding spiritual truths and MCC’s vision, administratively among the elders and the staff.
• Model the importance and priority of prayer and scripture study.
• Baptized (immersed) believer in Jesus Christ; ordained or eligible for ordination.
• Full philosophical, intellectual, and spiritual alignment with MCC’s vision, mission, core beliefs, and values (found in the Employee Handbook, available upon request)
• Significant church and/or parachurch ministry experience.
o MCC is a Restoration Movement church and will seek like-minded candidates for this position.
• Bachelor’s degree required, with a strong preference for ministry/biblical studies/theology.
o Seminary degree preferred.
• Ability to live within driving distance of Minier, IL. This job is on-site, and regular access to the church, the Minier community, and the surrounding region will be necessary.
• Competitive salary and retirement matching program.
• Generous PTO package (full details in the Employee Handbook, available upon request) including 10 paid holidays.
• Mileage reimbursement for ministry-related travel.
• Budgeted professional development funds.
• Cell phone stipend.
• Potential educational reimbursement program.
MCCers are praying fervently in anticipation of a new leader. It is our desire to enable a fellowship that produces unity under the banner of Christ, where we can “rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn” (Romans 12:15); that through our worship, programs, and relationships we are caused to walk evermore closely with Jesus, to love our neighbors well, and to show others the path to the foot of the cross. We seek a pastor with an abiding and evidential love for God and people, and a sacred calling to lead them to Him.
If you feel called to apply for this position, you can do so by emailing a cover letter and resume by email.