The Lord has blessed First Presbyterian Church with a wonderful youth group. The youth group consists of students in the 7th -12th grades. There are three main weekly gatherings for the youth: Bible study on Wednesday nights, Sunday night youth group, and Sunday School. These gatherings include both our covenant children as well as students from our broader community. In addition, the Lord is growing our ministry to children from preschool on up with more and more children and young parents. We have a significant wave of students who will be entering the youth group in the coming years. In response to this, we are looking for a man called by God to come and fulfill the role of a full time youth director.
The primary role of this position will be as youth director. Most of the one-on-one interaction will be with those in 7-12th grades. However, the man hired to this position will also be actively engaged in the church’s ministry to students of all ages. As such, he will work with both the Youth and Christian education committees and answer directly to the Pastor and the Session.
We are looking for someone who is gifted in discipleship, teaching, organization, and gets along well with youth and children of all ages. He must be able to relate well to their parents and families. This position will be a combination of discipleship and event-driven in an effort to grow the youth group and foster a love for the Lord among our covenant children and their friends.
This position may be either an ordained or nonordained position.
– Demonstrate a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and accept the Bible as the inspired and inerrant Word of God and authority for life. The candidate should demonstrate a visible passion for the gospel, a genuine love for students, and zeal for reaching the lost. The candidate must possess a healthy devotional life and a genuine love for God’s people.
– Have a discerned call to youth ministry that is affirmed by others.
– Have a biblical view and wise grasp of the issues facing our youth in today’s world.
– Possess knowledge of Reformed Theology with the ability to teach and to lead the youth of our church to a deeper understanding and appreciation for the beliefs of our denomination.
– Have the ability and desire to relate to students, volunteers, and families.
– Be trustworthy and be respectful of confidentiality with appropriate discernment. The candidate must be physically and emotionally qualified to meet the requirements of a director of youth ministries.
– Be a man of high character, good repute, and sexual purity.
– Have the ability to use a computer and/or modern technology efficiently. This includes (but is not necessarily
limited to) the use of Word/Pages, Excel/Numbers, PowerPoint/Keynote, various forms of social media, etc.
– Be able to work with a budget and be able to use fundamental mathematical skills.
– Be able to pass background checks and drug tests.
– Work in accordance to accepted child protection policies.
Preferred Qualifications (Not Required):
– A college education and/or experience in Bible teaching (preferably with some training in this area), and have knowledge of current youth ministry resources.
– Possess leadership, interpersonal, and organizational skills needed to minister to youth, coordinate volunteers, and plan events/programs to meet the requirements of a youth director.
– Youth Ministry (7-12th Grades)
– Implement a philosophy of ministry to students that is consistent with Reformed Theology, the standards of the PCA, the Session of the church, and is effective both in reaching unchurched youth and in equipping students to reach their peers.
– Provide sound, biblical teaching from a reformed perspective that emphasizes the gospel of Jesus Christ and is effective in reaching both students from the church and the greater Brewton area. There are three main weekly teaching responsibilities: Sunday School, Sunday Night Youth Group, and Wednesday Night Youth Group.
– Pray daily for students under care.
– Disciple students in ministries of mercy through service projects and mission trips.
– Promote the incorporation of youth into the general life and ministry of the church.
– Lead the students in attending an annual summer “youth conference” (e.g. Rush at Perimeter Church, etc.) and other youth trips throughout the year.
– Plan activities to provide students with opportunities for worship, fellowship, fun, service, and evangelism. (e.g. Youth Sunday, Senior Banquet, 5th Quarter, etc.)
– Provide wisdom, spiritual encouragement, and a listening ear for students struggling with emotional and spiritual problems, recommending professional counseling for them when appropriate.
– Be responsible for organizing and supervising all volunteers and chaperones at various youth functions.
– Report to and be discipled by the Pastor on a weekly basis and attend weekly staff meetings.
– Attend Session meetings to give a report on youth happenings.
– Attend and actively participate in youth committee meetings. (e.g. prepare meeting agenda, prepare a calendar of events each year, etc.)
– Function within the prescribed youth budget.
– Be a liaison between the church and community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth ministry.
– Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (website, social media, email, church bulletin, newsletter, etc.) to ensure that communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole knows the latest happenings in FPC Youth.
– Be involved in the lives of the students (e.g. lunch at schools, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.).
– Attend Christian education committee meetings and work with them as needed to plan and run events and functions (specifically VBS).
– Other: Assist the Pastor as needed in other areas to benefit the overall ministry of the church.
Starting Compensation: $40,000-$45,000 including benefits. Salary depends on qualification
We invite you to prayerfully consider the detailed job description (attached). If you desire to find out more about this position or apply, please send a brief testimony and an updated resume, including the contact information for 4 references (non-family, at least one should be a pastor) by email to Kevin Kelley ([email protected] / 251.212.0056) and Parker Johnson ([email protected] / 251-867-5395 (office) or By mail:
First Presbyterian Church
Attn: Youth Director Search
PO Box 766
Brewton, AL 36427