Reports to: Associate Pastor of Next Generation Ministries / Full-Time Salaried (40+ hours per week)
Purpose: To lead and serve with a talented staff in developing a ministry that nurtures and equips children (from birth through 5th grade) and their families to flourish as disciples of Jesus Christ in the Reformed Tradition.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Work closely with Assistant Pastor – Next Generation Ministry.
2. Work closely with Next Generation team of elders and deacons and staff.
3. Supervise the work of the Children’s Ministry Coordinator and Coordinator of Childcare & Mother’s
4. Nurture spiritual growth and development of children birth through 5th grades.
5. Build supportive relationships with parents, children and families.
6. Communicate with children, parents and volunteers via post cards, letters, email, phone calls, and social media, as deemed appropriate by church policy.
7. Provide educational resources to help equip parents and families as disciple-makers in their own homes.
8. Provide compassionate care for children, including hospital and home visits.
9. Nurture volunteers, teachers, fellow colleagues, and interns with words, notes, small gifts and
10. Working in coordination with the ministry deacons, develop, manage, and document the budget for the children’s ministry.
11. Select, order, and facilitate implementation of curriculum and materials for all children’s ministry
programming (i.e. Sunday School, Sunday afternoon, and VBS) with guidance from the associate pastor and Next Generation committee
12. Be a visible presence during programming, working alongside other staff and volunteers.
13. Provide direction, resourcing, and support Sunday afternoon programming for Children.
14. Recruit, provide comprehensive training, and offer support for volunteers, teachers and summer interns to work with children from birth to 5th grade.
15. Submit articles, promotions, and updates for publication in the weekly newsletter and elsewhere.
16. Plan and implement special seasonal events, including those at Christmas, Easter and spring.
17. Plan and direct specific summer programming.
18. Plan large group time for elementary SS each week.
19. Direct VBS along with Board of Directors and staff support.
20. Plan and direct the children’s Wednesday night programs.
21. Attend workshops and conferences to continue education, learn current best practices, and nurture your own spiritual growth.
22. Network with area directors of children’s ministries.
23. Perform other duties as assigned.
Accountability: Reports to the Associate Pastor of Next Generation Ministries and the Next Generation Ministry Team and is accountable through the Associate Pastor to the Senior Pastor, and Personnel Committee.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Needed:
1. Understands and shows a working knowledge of child development and educational theory.
2. Possesses a strong knowledge of the Bible as well as the ability to soundly interpret it and apply it to life.
3. Embraces Reformed theology and adheres to the Essential Tenets of the ECO: A Covenant Order of
4. Possess a working knowledge of Microsoft 365 office suite of applications and programs.
5. Professional self-starter with a growth mindset.
6. Ability to take direction.
7. High capacity for managing stress and engaging in sustained activity.
8. Growing understanding of best ministry practices connected to Children’s Ministry.
9. A commitment to excellence.
1. A Bachelor’s Degree in Christian Ministries or equivalent degree.
2. Prior experience in Children’s Ministry.
1. A servant’s heart, a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and is committed to the church’s
vision, mission, leadership, and people.
2. Personal characteristics, traits or qualities valuable for an employee working in this position
include: organized, detail oriented, teachable spirit, hard worker, displays patience under
pressure, multitasker, have integrity, team player, focused, proactive, ability to strategically plan,
and possess a positive attitude.
3. Upbeat, energetic, enthusiastic, with a good sense of humor.
4. Possesses relational skills needed to connect effectively with children and their families.
5. Adheres to healthy boundaries in all areas of life including those between ministry and personal
1. Full-time (salaried). A flexible schedule is required since this position requires evening and weekend
2. Regular weekly Sunday worship services of 8:30 AM and 11:00 AM Traditional and 10:45 AM
Contemporary with Sunday School happening at 9:45 -10:30 AM.
3. Required to hold regular office hours to include Tuesday staff meetings.
4. Monthly ministry meetings with Deacons (typically first Monday of the month at 6 PM)
5. Periodic special events and/or retreats may require flexibility.
If you are interested, please send your cover letter and résumé to our Director of Children’s Ministries Search Committee by email.