Purpose: To provide spiritual leadership, pastoral care, administrative oversight and organizational direction to the Congregation to enable the church to grow to its full potential in membership and spiritual vitality.
Scripture defines the Pastor’s role as:
• Preaching and teaching (1 Timothy 4:13; 5:17; 2 Timothy 4:1-2)
• Together with the elders serving as guardians (Acts 20:28; 1 Timothy 6:20-21)
• Overseer and shepherd (1 Timothy 5:17; Titus 1:7-9; 1 Peter 5:1-3)
Education: Seminary degree of Master of Divinity or equivalent* from an accredited seminary approved by the Evangelical Presbyterian Church Rivers and Lakes Presbytery.
To this end, we are seeking a person called to this position who will be:
• A committed follower of Jesus Christ, with integrity and transparency, who sets a compassionate example as the head of his own family, discerning and prayerful in his conduct.
• A caring shepherd, compassionate counselor, by nature unbiased, amicable, and a listener, with a servant’s heart to visit members in their homes, hospital, or nursing homes.
• A clear communicator of God’s inerrant Word, teaching and guiding the Congregation as we mature as Christians, to perform the great commission, and spread God’s Word.
• Adaptable in moving us toward our goals as a church.
• A person who will work as a team player, and is involved in various activities ( i.e. outreach, evangelism, senior and adult membership), but also with an orientation toward revitalizing our youth and children’s ministries.
• Good with organizing and delegating tasks, familiar with finances, a leader and mentor capable of equipping members, and executing the church’s goals.
Mission: Sharing the gospel, Maturing the believer, and Glorifying God.
To this end, our Pastor will:
• Provide biblically based preaching and teaching in and out of the pulpit.
• Provide a teaching ministry that will lead to the spiritual growth of the Congregation, calling and equipping the members.
• To love each other, our neighbors, and our communities.
• Lead the Session and Congregation in implementing God’s call and vision for this church (see The Purpose document).
• Worshipping and preaching the Word.
• Building and equipping the Leadership and Congregation.
• Providing pastoral care to members of the Congregation.
• Serve the community by participating in church and community activities with his/her family with a view toward building friendships, representing the church in the community, building relationships with other pastors and community leaders, and communicating the church’s vision to the community.
• Administrating and supervising the Staff by leading, directing, and supervising both employees and contractors, including office staff and treasurer.
• The Pastor will be accountable to the Session.
• In addition to Sunday Worship, the Pastor is expected to keep regular church office hours with one day reserved as a day off, in addition to Saturday.
• relates to the Session and its committees as the Moderator of the Session
• relates to the Staff as Head of Staff
• relates to the Congregation as Pastor
• relates to Presbytery as a member
*Formal course of study shall include Old and New Testament Survey, Old Testament Exegesis, New Testament Exegesis, Church History (with an emphasis on the Reformation), Apologetics, Leadership, Preaching, Evangelism, Missiology, Discipleship/Disciple-making, Pastoral Care and Counseling, and Ethics, plus three courses in systematic theology (equivalent nine semester-hours). In addition, competency in Reformed Theology as expressed in the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms, as well as an exegesis of Scripture in Greek or Hebrew shall be demonstrated through a standardized ordination exam governed by the Ministerial Committee of the EPC Rivers and Lakes Presbytery.
Resumes may be sent to either:
Melanie Bicket (618) 922-4291
Mike Garlit [email protected] (618) 339-7512
Or mailed directly to the church:
Pastor Search Team
C/O Trinity Presbyterian Church
301 W Broadway
Sparta, IL 6228