We’re not just looking to fill a leadership role for Student Ministries. We are looking for someone who wants constant Gospel renewal with us. We are seeking a team player who is committed to authentic service as part of a church family – a person prepared to lead the charge in revealing the Gospel message in an increasingly polarized cultural context.
We are convinced that teenagers are the church of today as well as the church of tomorrow. We are looking for someone who takes teens seriously and treats them with respect and love in the midst of all their accomplishments – but especially in their failures. If kids can’t “fail well” in our church family, we believe they will “fail badly” somewhere else. This is life-on-life, down in the trenches, blood-sweat-n-tears kind of service. This is not a job for the timid or gimmicky. This is a call to change the world, but also the calling in your life that will change you. None of us will ever be the same. If you are truly prepared to leave a legacy of the Gospel among the teenagers of Long Beach all the way to the far reaches of the universe, this just might be a good place for you to work. Does this stoke a fire already burning in your soul? If it does, we would be excited to meet you and consider what God has for a mutual future.
The Youth Director will be a servant to the transforming power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They will be an exemplary Christ-follower, possessing godly character and maturity manifest in distinctive moral principles and integrity. They will live a down-to-earth Gospel-centered life, prioritizing relationship with God and the health of their own family. The Youth Director will work under the leadership of our Lead Pastor and will be distinguished in their submission to authority as they faithfully follow the Lord. They will be an inspiring servant-leader, expressing their Spirit-gifting through relationships among those they serve. They will possess a strong work ethic and teachable spirit. They will be gifted relationally, revealed through understandable, clear, constructive, and respectful communication. They will exhibit strong interpersonal skills with compassion, approachability, and enthusiasm.
The Youth Director will provide leadership for ministries which include Middle School (6th–8th grades) and Senior High School (9th–12th grades). They will be a “hands-on” leader for both Middle School & High School Ministries, using efficient administrative skills to organize a comprehensive youth ministry. They will develop age-appropriate discipleship ministries with an emphasis on dynamic Gospel-centered outreach approaches. At the same time, they will not be a “one man show;” this is not a Lone Ranger position! They will be passionate about ongoing recruiting and leading of a committed group of volunteer staff comprised of adults, collegiate students, and leadership caliber High School Juniors & Seniors (being trained in/for Middle School ministry). The Youth Director will be fun, a contagious leader who is an inspirational multiplier of other leaders. They will be a team player, working with their volunteers to develop intentional discipleship groups along with global and local (“glocal” missions) outreach support & involvement. They will have an obvious love for students, and provide support & communication with parents which encourages and supports families. They will be infectious in their love, spreading the fame of Jesus to families, students, and the world.
The Youth Director loyally serves under the leadership of our Lead Pastor, and staff oversight by our church elders. The Youth Director serves alongside all other paid staff & numerous unpaid volunteers.
- Demonstrates Gospel-centered character outlined in the ‘Character Profile.’
- Demonstrates competence in the areas outlined in the ‘Position Description.’
- Demonstrates a clear calling to Gospel-centered youth ministry.
- Will be a hand’s-on leader for Middle School & High School ministries (which meet separately), conducting regular age-appropriate mid-week & Sunday morning meetings.
- Able to utilize ‘Safe Place’ guidelines for a safe and secure environment for students including background checks, facility safety, activity safety, and the clear standards of integrity between the Youth Director, volunteer leadership, and with students.
- Will work under the Lead Pastor to develop curricula choices enhanced through exciting and visionary training and support for small groups led by ministry volunteers.
- Will take a leadership role (along with our Children’s Ministry Director) in fundraising for ministry-oriented events, with a special focus on an annual golf tournament (or equally large-scope fundraiser) raising funds for a growing Hume Lake Summer Camp ministry for students ranging from 3rd Grade through Senior High.
- Will take a leadership role (with our Children’s Ministry Director) to incorporate Middle School & High School AWANA students as part of the larger ‘Student Ministry Universe.’
- In support of the AWANA Commander (and our Children’s Ministry Director) will develop personal connections with incoming 5th grade AWANA students and their parents by speaking a few times a year at the large AWANA outreach events (e.g. Opening Night, Grand Prix, Gladiator Night, Awards Ceremony). The goal for our Youth Director is “bridging” 5th graders (and their parents) from their elementary school experience to the bigger & louder Student Ministries Universe.
- Will co-coordinate & lead (with our Children’s Ministry Director) a week-long Summer VBS program for Middle School students simultaneously with the Children’s Ministry VBS (for kids up through 5th grade). Middle School VBS (in reality) is a daytime Summer Camp for 6th-8th graders, and is one of our largest outreaches/activities for Middle School students.
- Preferred completion of Bachelor’s degree in Youth Ministry or related field of study.
- If the applicant is not yet licensed with the Christian & Missionary Alliance (C&MA), we expect licensing and ordination/consecration to be completed as soon as possible.
Financial & Positional Details:
- The Youth Director position is a full-time, salaried staff position working under the immediate leadership of the Lead Pastor.
- $45K salary commensurate with position and student ministry experience.
- Position includes benefits detailed in our LBAC Employee Handbook (provided during the interview process).
How To Apply
Please send your resume and at least two reference letters in PDF form by email.