First Presbyterian Church, Sibley, Iowa
The growing and dynamic First Presbyterian Church of Sibley, Iowa has begun a search for its next Pastor/Head of Staff to help her live into its mission of “inviting all people to celebrate Christ and reclaim strong Biblical values.” The next Pastor/Head of Staff will have the privilege of leading a determined staff of professionals and volunteers, as well as guiding the Session (Elders) into its next chapter of life and ministry.
Spiritual Qualifications—The Pastor/Head of Staff will:
1. Confess Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
2. Be a devoted follower of Jesus whose life reflects the fruit of the Spirit and who desires to keep in step with the Spirit.
3. Practice spiritual disciplines, including prayer and the reading of Scripture.
4. Be able to give testimony to his call to pastoral ministry.
5. Affirm the Bible as the inspired, infallible, and authoritative Word of God for life and ministry.
6. Seek to undertake pastoral duties by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Personal Qualifications—The Pastor/Head of Staff will:
1. Be an emotionally healthy person who loves people, both churched and unchurched, and who enjoys creating and sustaining positive relationships with them.
2. Be a listener and collaborator who enjoys working with others while evaluating and developing action plans.
3. Be a peacemaker able to unite people with varying perspectives to advance harmony and achieve common goals.
4. Be a visionary servant leader able whose present activities are shaped by a vision for the future.
5. Thrive living in small rural community in Northwest Iowa.
Professional Competencies—The Lead Pastor will be:
1. An energetic communicator, able to craft and deliver biblical and relevant sermons that effectively speak to both new and maturing Christians.
2. A creative liturgist who enjoys planning and participating in worship services.
3. Be a organizational leader who is effective in conflict resolution and reconciliation strategies.
4. A shepherd whose love for the congregation and desire for its spiritual well-being prompts him to provide spiritual direction and pastoral care to those in need.
6. A bridge-builder who establishes and maintains relationships with the local community, including its pastors (Osceola County Ministerial Association), and with the Presbytery of Upper Midwest (ECO).
1. Preaching/Teaching—the Pastor/Head of Staff is responsible for the bulk of the preaching and will have opportunity to teach as time allows. .
2. Corporate Worship—the Pastor/Head of Staff is responsible for the planning and delivery of engaging, life-transforming worship services. A Worship Director provides support.
3. Leadership/Management—the Pastor/Head of Staff will equip the saints for the work of the ministry by partnering with the Session towards the embrace of a compelling vision and mission, accompanied by the implementation of effective strategies. In the process, he will serve as Head of Staff and moderate Session meetings.
4. Pastoral Care—the Pastor/Head of Staff will provide timely spiritual direction and pastoral care for those seeking baptism, profession of faith, church membership, marriage, healing, and encouragement, as well as for those suffering the loss of love.
5. Public Presence—the Pastor/Head of Staff has the privilege of representing the congregation in the broader community and denomination.
● The Pastor/Head of Staff reports to and is accountable to the Session.
● The Pastor/Head of Staff is responsible for leading, encouraging, and supervising the staff, which includes a FT Youth Pastor, FT Administrative Assistant, PT Office Assistant, and PT Custodian.
Expectations – The Pastor will:
1. Affirm the Essential Tenets and the Confessional Standards of the Evangelical Order of Presbyterians.
2. Be or become ordained by the Evangelical Covenant Order of Presbyterians.
3. Engage with Presbytery and the Osceola County Ministerial Association (OCMA).
4. Attend presbytery meetings, national gatherings and participate in a covenant group.
5. Find ways to care for his physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being, and that of his family members.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Housing type: Manse/Parsonage, utilities paid.
• Cash Salary
• Health Insurance for individual or family
• Pension Contribution
For more information, contact Sam Hamstra by email: [email protected].