General Summary of Position
SMPC seeks an Assistant Pastor to help the Session establish and organize ministries for the spiritual
development and education of its membership, in particular the youth (up to grade 12). He will also contribute,
as needed, to preaching, counseling, and ministry to the church community.
● Work with the Session to develop a strategy for shepherding and discipling youth to spiritual maturity and lives changed by the application of the gospel.
● Direct, organize and implement a ministry to children, youth and teens, with an emphasis on equipping and assisting parents and enfolding youth into the body of the church.
● Plan and implement events determined under the strategy to include Sunday School, Bible studies, evangelism, missions/service opportunities, fun and fellowship, retreats and more.
● Assist church leadership in recruiting, mentoring, training, and equipping volunteers to support the ministry.
● Regularly assist in elements of leading worship.
● Preach occasionally (approx. 6-12 times per year).
● Assist with other pastoral duties such as counseling and visitation.
● Assist with directing and organizing other church ministries and activities as needed.
Education: M. Div. or greater with a strong Reformed theological emphasis.
Experience: 1 to 5 years of experience as an assistant pastor or another ministry with leadership responsibilities is preferred.
Ordination: Must be ordained or “ordination ready”. Ordination credentials will be through the Pacific Presbytery (PCA). Candidates already ordained through the PCA Pacific Presbytery are preferred although transfer from another presbytery, or other Reformed church (NAPARC) in the PCA to the Pacific Presbytery is acceptable.
Personal Disposition: A love for the Lord Jesus Christ, fellow believers in Christ and the growth and purity of
His Church. Willing to be in personal spiritual accountability relationships fitting for a minister of the Word. Can take criticism, correction, direction, or advice with grace. Desire and willingness to engage and relate to youth and their families in all settings (including in homes) while maintaining healthy boundaries and accountability.
Skills and Abilities: Must be driven and able to work independently with minimal oversight. Must have demonstrated success in building thriving ministries or work groups. Must have excellent verbal and written skills. Must be able to interact with all people with grace, humility, and discretion / confidence where prudent or required. Must have excellent computer skills.
Terms of Employment / Call: This is a full-time, salaried (exempt) position. Annual salary is commensurate
with experience, education, and credentials. Salary will include an offset for health, life, and disability insurance.
Three weeks paid vacation, ministry travel allowances, and an annual week of continuing education with travel
allowance. If the candidate needs to proceed through the ordination process, continued employment will be
determined by their ordination status.
Other: The candidate must pass a background check and screening process.
Interested individuals should send their resume and a cover letter with your interest in the position to the attention of Rick Vetanovetz, Search Committee Lead by email. Rick is a ruling elder at Spring Meadows Presbyterian Church.
Appropriate qualifications and procedures in accordance with the Presbyterian Church of America BCO apply.