The Assistant Youth Pastor will assist the Youth Pastor in the designing, coordinating, and leading a comprehensive youth ministry that is focused on building community, spiritual growth/discipleship, and ministry service opportunities for all students.
This position serves as a member of the Youth ministry staff at St. James UMC and will work under the vision and direction of the Youth Pastor.
This position will support the Church’s mission, vision, and values by exhibiting the following behaviors: excellence and competence, collaboration, innovation, respect, teamwork, commitment to our community, and accountability and ownership. The incumbent will possess a demonstrated Christian faith commitment.
Key Position Responsibilities
· Assist Youth Pastor in the leadership and development of STJUMC Youth Ministry Lead Youth Bible study, occasionally deliver sermons and facilitate group sessions
· Recruit student small group leaders
· Build relationships with youth, parents and other adults in the CMY community
· Being present active and engaged in all ministry operations.
· Attend all staff meetings and weekly team meetings
· Participate in all Sunday/Wednesday CMY services and programs.
· Stay abreast of current trends in youth ministry and youth culture
· Perform internal discipleship and external evangelism to reach the unsaved.
· Assist in community engagement and program development with community partners
· Grow social media presence
· Promote and support both the church and ministry vision, mission and values.
· Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Biblical studies or related discipline preferred, some Biblical training or other educational experiences required
· Experience: 3-5 years of experience as a youth ministry leader preferred.
· Specific Skills required to execute the essential functions of the role:
o Computer proficiency- Microsoft Office
o Functional Skills –
· Sermon Delivery
· Facilitating Youth groups
o Communication/interpersonal skills
· People skills – realizing that ministry is all about relationships, to be committed to developing as a leader with excellent relational/people skills
· Communication skills – to be committed to timely, effective, and strategic communication
o Personal self- management skills
· Spiritual calling – a specific calling to this position of serving students at this time and place
· Integrity – to serve as a role model with strong character that is above reproach
· Spiritual hunger – to lead in ministry with a commitment to prayer and personal devotion, leaning on the power of Holy Spirit, and a commitment to continued personal spiritual growth
· Strong work ethic – to possess a strong drive to be excellent in ministry, willing to put in the hours necessary to see the ministry and church excel
· Coachable – to humbly serve in a team environment where constructive criticism is valued and appreciated, to walk in humility with an appreciation for seasoned leaders who pour into and train the staff
· Ability to work in a collaborative team environment – to be committed to being an excellent team member, one who works well with others, and has an executive understanding of team integrity
· Professional – to be committed to serving in ministry with a high commitment to professionalism and excellence in all aspects of communication, leading, and serving