South Highland places an emphasis on the relational over the transactional. Our goal is to create meaningful relationships between members of the congregation, as well as between members and their Creator. SHPC needs an Associate Pastor to help lead the church in its vision to show and share the love of Christ with the surrounding community, as well as help the church grow without becoming impersonal. We do not want new members to become “lost in the crowd” as we grow too quickly. Our church wishes to tap into an emerging young downtown demographic: college students, graduate students, and young families who are becoming increasingly attracted to a vibrant, expanding urban culture.
How will this position help you to reach your vision and mission goals?
The Associate Pastor will be a colleague with our Senior Pastor, supplementary and additive. They will help us grow our under 50 age group, to advertise our church and its location in central Birmingham, and to advocate for South Highland Presbyterian Church and its outreach activities.
Provide a description of the characteristics needed by the person who is open to being called to this congregation and or organization.
- Have a sincere faith in Jesus Christ, with compassion for all people regardless of age, race, gender, or sexual orientation
- Possess openness to share SHPC’s vision and values including our commitment to being a multi-cultural, welcoming, open, and inclusive community of faith
- Be a person of warmth, with an open mind, and spiritual maturity
What specific tasks, assignments, and program areas will this person have responsibility?
- Coordinate activities that introduce neighbors to the Gospel, our church ministries, and the congregation
- Build relationships with individuals and organizations in our community including generations underrepresented in our current congregation and 21st century families
Welcoming, Engaging and Inspiring
- Encourage support for the church ministries that meet, invite, welcome, integrate, and assimilate new members into the life of the church and help others become disciples of Christ
Generations Under 50
- Collaborate on programs and opportunities that involve and nurture families and young adults
- Invest in and make disciples of younger members of our congregation; building connections and cultivating a passion for faithful participation in weekly worship, regular study of the Word, and service to others
- Increase outreach to younger generations by:
- Effectively employing social media to connect with people and groups in the community who are not currently engaged with our congregation
- Developing a plan to identify and respond to the spiritual needs of this segment of our community
Other Pastoral Duties
- Preach, on average, one occasion every other month, lead worship and teach regularly
- Work as a colleague with staff, officers, and members who lead and work in all areas of church life, particularly ministries with our younger congregation, and those that reach out into the community
- Support church leaders in ministries of evangelism, compassion, and social justice