As Christ Church, New Bern, continues to learn what a post–COVID church will look like, we are seeking an Associate Rector whose primary area of responsibility will be Pastoral Care with support for the Outreach, Parish Life, and Evangelism Commissions.
There are no “Lone Rangers” in the Kingdom of God, so this is a role for someone who enjoys and thrives in being on a team with common goals. We want someone who is committed to following Jesus and living out their ordination and Baptismal vows, even on days when it’s hard to do those things.
We have many, many lay people engaged in pastoral care as Stephen Ministers and Eucharistic Visitors, as well as our Newcomer Ministry, Prayer Shawl Ministry, and those providing meals to those who’ve experienced loss or welcomed a new child, just to name a few. (Visit our website for more details.) There is a 30–year history of pastoral care and fellowship within the neighborhoods of New Bern. That ministry has experienced an overhaul in the past five years but is still in need of direction and support. We are seeking someone who will help coordinate communication and conversations between the various ministries under the Pastoral Care umbrella, including actively connecting newcomers to ministries in which they are interested. In some ways, the Associate Rector serves as the lead choreographer, connecting those who need to receive pastoral care with those providing it. The Associate Rector will also be the main recordkeeper, so we know who is
doing what, helping prevent duplication of care, and keeping those in need from falling through the cracks.
Christ Church has a long history of caring for those in our community and beyond. There are literally hundreds of people who are the hands and feet of Jesus in over a dozen efforts to bring comfort and hope to people in need. Outreach continues to be identified as one of the top priorities at Christ Church. We are working to identify opportunities for multi–generational engagement in service to others. This is an amazing chance to be creative while spreading the Gospel through acts of kindness and mercy.
Efforts in Outreach, Evangelism, and Parish Life are well organized, and the Associate Rector will work with lay leaders to ensure they continue to be so.
Communication is a key aspect of this position. The Associate Rector must communicate clearly and regularly among the various lay leaders, with the Rector and staff, and share information and invitations with the whole parish and the community through multiple mediums, including social media. Christ Church values quality, engaging, and challenging preaching. We are asking candidates to provide samples of sermons (video, audio, or manuscript) as part of information submitted.
Qualified person will…
• Love Jesus and desire to care for all of God’s people
• Be ordained (or nearing ordination) in the Episcopal Church
• Organize and identify people who are passionate about pastoral care and outreach
• Engage with local and diocesan agencies for pastoral care and outreach
• Care for his/her own spiritual health and growth: Sabbath time, prayer life, recreation,
• Be a competent teacher and preacher
• With Rector and lay leaders, develop and carry out a vision for pastoral care, outreach, and evangelism.
• Enjoy working in and among a collaborative office team and lay leaders
• Be proficient with and adaptable to technology and applications of technology (mobile,
social, desktop, etc.)
• Possess the ability to engage and communicate with people of all ages within Christ Church and beyond
The Associate Rector will share responsibility with the Rector in:
• Preaching and presiding at Holy Eucharist (3 Sunday Services, 1 mid–week service,
• Facilitation, coordination, and participation in Pastoral Care ministries
• Clergy liaison to Outreach and Evangelism Commissions
• Preparation and presiding at weddings and funerals, as needed/requested
• Support and contribute to parish communications
• Planning worship by season in collaboration with Rector and others
• Being available for after–hours pastoral care per rotation schedule.
• Helping facilitate new member incorporation
• Lead/teach Christian formation classes periodically
• Participate in weekly staff meetings, monthly vestry meetings, and parish
activities/fellowship events based on interest and time
Why should you explore a call to Christ Church, New Bern:
• Great teams of dedicated volunteers
• An established Rector with over 20 years of parish & diocesan ministry
• A great opportunity to be creative and breathe new life into existing ministries and help
cultivate new ministries, too
• A chance to learn and grow while offering a fresh perspective to a vibrant parish
• Fantastic area with great schools, great medical services, and deep history
• A faith community that will help you become an even better priest
How to apply
Please submit resume, OTM, three sermons (or links to audio/video/blog of sermons), and a cover letter to the Rector, the Rev. Paul 5kCanady by email.