PRINCIPAL DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES: Oversee, lead, develop, manage, and coordinate overall Mission operations and assist the Chief Executive Officer in all areas as needed. Departments within Operations include: Facilities, including building and property management, inspections, and ensuring the trouble-free maintenance of such; Technology, including IT, phone systems and associated equipment; Retail, including Thrift Operations and Nettie’s Mercantile & Cafe; and Food Services. Promote, establish, and ensure a culture of safety and stewardship.
Provide overall management to the daily operations of the Thrift Store and Nettie’s to include finances, production, and customer service and donor relationships for the purpose of increasing revenue for program operations.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Majority of work is done indoors; however, some outdoor responsibilities may be required. Thirty-five percent of time is spent using computer and/or telephone. Requires some travel between various Mission locations. Minimum lifting required up to 50 pounds with some bending, stretching or twisting.
ORGANIZATIONAL LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITIES
- As a member of Executive Team, uphold, promote, and encourage, in word and deed, desired organizational culture and core values; purposefully seek to establish and maintain a culture that affirms and advances RRM Mission Statement and Core Values.
- Participate in timely and accurate reporting according to RRM needs and expectations.
- Keep Chief Executive Officer and Executive Team informed and demonstrate commitment to open communication and unity in an effort to fully participate in organizational problem-solving, planning, decision making, and God-honoring leadership. Meet weekly with Chief Executive Officer.
- Directly lead and manage direct reports, providing coaching, support, feedback, and accountability consistent with biblical guidelines, to attain goals and standards and ensure optimal effectiveness.
Departments under Operations currently include:
- Retail – Thrift Operations
- Food Services
- Conduct regular staff meetings for the purpose of motivation and team building.
- Maintain knowledge about homelessness, rescue and funding environments on a local and national level.
- Complete all other tasks as requested by the Chief Executive Officer.
- Maintain CCLI and CVLI membership, reporting and utilization.
- Apply and lead process of becoming AGRM certified and maintaining certification.
BUILDING & PROPERTY MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILTIES
- Oversee all building and property management in accordance with inspections, safety guidelines, insurance codes and in compliance with state and local regulatory requirements.
- Ensure cleanliness, security and safety of both the interior and exterior of all buildings.
- Report any requests for repair to the appropriate staff for the upkeep of buildings, vehicles and properties.
- Maintain high quality housekeeping standards and grounds care. Maintain an exemplary appearance both inside and outside of all facilities.
- Maintain security alarm systems and update contacts as needed.
- Cooperate with the local fire department; administer all fire safety checks, policies and procedures.
- Ensure the inspections of lighting, smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, suppression systems, alarm systems backflow and storm water management as regulated by law and according to safety standards.
- Responsible for maintaining the SDS manuals to include evaluation of the potential hazards of chemicals, communicating information concerning hazards and appropriate protective measures.
- Develop a written disaster plan for Rockford Rescue Mission.
- Ensure adherence to safety standards and policies.
- Advise senior management on workplace safety ensuring that the organization remains in compliance with OSHA regulations.
- Plan and conduct fire, tornado, and medical drills and report outcomes.
RETAIL FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct annual budgeting and planning processes for assigned departments.
- Stay informed with daily, weekly and monthly sales and production reports and submit regularly for review.
- Consistently research trends and sales to maximize Thrift Store and Nettie’s profits.
- Prepare projections on an annual basis of all building plans and retail improvements.
- Maintain accurate inventory records.
- Train, perform and assure the proper handling of cash in accordance with financial policies.
RETAIL PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION
- Set quality and uniform standards for display, rotation and pricing of merchandise.
- Support staff in the organization and flow of donated goods for maximum output.
- Adequately manage inventory so as not to stockpile and ensure good stewardship practices.
- Research recycling market on a periodic basis to ensure maximum profit.
- Follow proven thrift store methods and trends in order to be the market leader.
- Perform comparison shopping.
- Ensure cleanliness, security and safety of Thrift Store and Nettie’s.
- Maintain and keep as top priority good relations with all Thrift Store and Nettie’s donors and customers.
- Ensure all donors and customers are treated with the utmost care and gratitude.
- Oversee the daily operations of Thrift Store and Nettie’s, in collaboration with the associates.
INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (IT) RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee all aspects of technology use.
- Develop a plan with IT Coordinator to ensure Rockford Rescue Mission stays cutting edge and secure as it applies to technology.
- Oversee the RRM computer and telephone systems and software programs in order to trouble shoot or contact appropriate help.
NETTIE’S AND FOOD SERVICE
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with Nettie’s vendors.
- Manage food and drink inventory including ordering, delivery, tracking, storage utilization and disposal.
- Oversee the safe, professional preparation and service of all meals.
- Responsible for meeting all industry standards for food maintenance, storage, temperatures and disposal.
- Responsible for meeting all Health Department sanitation regulations.
- Ensure that all equipment is well maintained and operated within the proper guidelines.
- Solicit customer feedback to enhance customer service.
- Responsible for all reporting, accounting and resource tracking.
- Maintain accurate inventory records.
- Perform cash handling and all other tasks in accordance with Mission financial policies.
- Hands on implementation of action plans to meet operational and organizational objectives.
- Coordinate decorating of the Great Room and lobby for the Christmas season.
- Coordinate annual State of the Mission address with Leadership Team.
- Attend all Mission meetings and training sessions as required.
- Oversee schedule and responsibilities of receptionist to ensure front desk coverage from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm on regular work days.
- Sitting at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Frequently standing, reaching, bending, twisting and stooping.
- Frequent moving and walking, including climbing stairs.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Take every opportunity to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ with others.
- Provide spiritual encouragement to staff, volunteers, guests and residents.
- Invest in the spiritual development of staff, guests, residents, and donors.
- Pray for and with staff, volunteers, guests, residents, and donors.
- Ensure actions and policies reflect the Christian values and purpose of the Mission.
- Handle relational conflicts according to the Staff Covenant of Romans 12:18 and Matthew 18:15-19
- Memorize monthly Scripture.
- Attend weekly staff chapel services and annual Spiritual Renewal Week.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of related experience required
- Previous experience in the non-profit/ministry sector desired
- Mature Christian, committed to and passionate about sharing hope and help in Jesus’ name to move people from homelessness and despair toward personal and spiritual wholeness
- Must be of exemplary character displaying respect, accountability, integrity, and professionalism
- Servant leader who demonstrates faith, humility and unity; able to provide biblical counsel and guidance to staff.
- Strong management and leadership abilities, able to coach, equip, and develop individuals and lead a team in managing multiple and often simultaneous tasks; ability to manage people by being a team builder with skills in crisis intervention and motivational leadership.
- Excellent manager of time and resources, with a stewardship mindset, able to discern tasks and projects by priority and ensure that associated deadlines are met
- Skilled and effective in written and verbal communication skills
- Sound analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus
- Must take an active part ensuring the safety, health and well-being of all our employees, volunteers, and Mission guests
- Business “literate,” understands reports, applies data to assess business effectiveness and efficiency and acts in a fiscally responsible manner
- Level-headed, purposeful in reactions, proactive problem solver. Gathers all information before making decisions and makes decisions accordingly that are sound and in alignment with RRM philosophies and core values
- Excellent interpersonal skills, adept at building relationships with individuals and groups of people with a very wide diversity of demographic and cultural characteristics
- Able to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents. Skilled negotiator who is experienced in contracts.
- Able to maintain “big picture” perspective and continue to move self and staff toward that
- Knowledge of drug and alcohol, mental illness, homeless and poverty issues strongly desired
- Computer literate: proficient in Word, Excel, Outlook, internet, email, data entry, and inventory management