Purpose: Is to build young disciples for Christ by developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to the Youth Ministry (in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach) while serving as a spiritual leader and role model.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision: The Youth Minister reports to the Senior Minister for spiritual and ministry guidance. The Senior Minister will perform an annual evaluation of the performance of the Youth Minister giving feedback on performance and expectations for moving the Youth Ministry program forward. The Youth Minister will be responsible and subject to Spencer Christian Church policy and doctrine.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
THE PRIMARY TASK: The Youth Minister will develop a comprehensive approach to the development and implementation of the Youth Ministry (Nursery-5th, Middle School, High School) at all levels in the church. This comprehensive approach is based on the understanding of the primary task of Youth Ministry to:
- love students where they are
- encourage students in developing their relationship to God
- provide them with opportunities for nurture and growth
- challenge them to become disciples for God.
- Be an advocate for students and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of students.
- Help plan, develop, and implement a balanced Youth Ministry in the areas of group building, worship, discipleship, mission, and outreach.
- Support and guide the work the Lead Minister communicates in an annual process of evaluating the vision and goals of the Student Life Ministry and directing monthly planning sessions.
- Mentor students in developing their leadership skills.
- Be aware of resources for developing Youth Life Ministry programming and participate in continuing education events and training opportunities.
- Recruit and train servant leaders who work with students in all aspects of the Youth Ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to student ratios.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to student ministries.
- Coordinate curriculum for students and recruit teachers to partner with the Youth Ministry.
- Work in partnership with other staff members to effectively reach students in the community and develop a strategic Youth Ministry outreach plan.
- Communicate Youth Ministry events/programming in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (email, website, bulletin, newsletter, app, social media etc.). Ensure communication with church staff and leadership, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Make yourself available to students in a variety of ways (i.e. lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Work, utilizing the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
Administration and Communication:
- Attend meetings: including staff and ministry team meetings, as well as other ministry leadership meetings as related to the Student Life Ministry of the church.
- Be knowledgeable of ethical and safe practices that minimize the church’s liability.
- Provide resources, documentation and communication for leadership as directed.
- Develop annual budget for the Youth Ministry area and oversee the day-to-day stewardship of the ministry’s budget.
- Work with external agencies and organizations in providing to expand 17th Street Christian Church’s Youth Ministry beyond the walls of the church building.
Student Life Ministry Servant Leadership:
- Identify, recruit, train and disciple necessary servant leadership and servants for the Youth Ministry.
- Collaborate with ministry servant leader to identify and mobilize new leaders.
- Identify and invest in relationships of people who have a passion and gift for Youth Ministry.
- Meet regularly with Youth Ministry leadership and servants for individual spiritual development, prayer and problem solving.
CHARACTER TRAITS AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Desire to continuously learn and serve others.
- Caring heart and desire to help students grow in Christ.
- Honest and trustworthy.
- Integrity for work habits and results.
- Ability to discern needs and respond appropriately, sensitively and proactively.
- Ongoing personal desire and effort to grow more Christ-like in character.
- Able to keep high level of confidentiality.
- Strong listener.
- A well-grounded faith in Jesus Christ, agreement and acceptance of 17scc policies and practices including the signing of 17scc statement of Faith.
- An active member of 17th Street Christian church.
- While employees are asked to serve in a variety of roles, each employee’s duties and responsibilities are ministry oriented and for the purpose of spreading the good news of Jesus Christ. An employee must exemplify the moral teachings of Christ and His church.
SKILLS AND TALENTS:
- Demonstrate leadership skills.
- Knowledgeable concerning relevant legal and ethical issues.
- Possess good oral and written communication skills.
- Able to multi-task and maintain composure under pressure.
- Begin and end projects within a reasonable timeframe.
- Self-starter, needing minimal supervision.
- Works well with others and within a team.
- Energized by non-routine assignments.
- Creative and innovative.
- Align with organizational vision, goals, values, and policies.
- Proficient with current technology and communication tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in ministry preferable.
- Experience in church-based ministry.
- Must have vision and a demonstrated ability to plan, develop, coordinate, manage and implement Youth Ministry.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills.
- Must possess a proven ability to work effectively with students, diverse individuals, and teams of volunteers.
- Significant experience developing and leading volunteers and teams.
Mike Phone: (606) 389-1209