Ministry Directors provide developmental leadership for specified areas of ministries for the church. They will develop, make functional, and oversee a specific ministry of the church. They will select and supervise leaders who will implement the various segments of the Ministry. As with all Directors at New Walk, the
Children’s Ministry Director will be directly accountable to Lead Pastor as well as the Executive Pastor.
Job Summary: The Director of Children’s Ministry provides direct oversight, leadership development, dynamic preaching/spiritual leadership, pastoral care, and strategic vision for New Walk Church’s Birth – 5th grade population.
Additionally, this position will partner with other Directors on staff in support of the mission and vision of New Walk
Church. He/she should have a passion for reaching children with the gospel message and should be willing to think outside the box to present the gospel message to children in age-appropriate and relevant ways. This position has oversight of ministries reaching children from birth through elementary age.
1. Lead a dynamic large group experience each weekend service that includes a live host, teacher and Children’s worship team.
2. Speak/preach at 30-40% of Children’s large group experiences
3. Be present in the Children’s lobby during weekend services, actively engaging children and parents.
4. Attend and contribute to a weekly creative meeting that prepares the team for the Children’s large group experience.
5. Administrate the Children’s Ministry in an effective and efficient manner by strategically planning your work, developing a budget, procuring all necessary materials and supplies, and securing volunteers needed for your work.
6. Study, know, and demonstrate means, methods, and models of effective Children’s Ministry to the Lead
Pastor and Executive Pastor as a part of your developmental planning and implementation. Regularly refresh and improve our Children’s weekend experience.
7. Provide leadership, coaching and oversight to Assistant Children’s Ministry Director.
8. Recruit, enlist, train, oversee, hold accountable, minister to, and be responsive to Team Leaders and volunteers.
9. Plan and execute mid to large attractional events throughout the year.
10. Develop a strong relationship with children, parents, church members
11. Build strong relationships with local elementary schools.
12. Work closely with Creative Arts and Communication team members to maintain strong ministry branding, social media presence, and overall awareness of the Children’s ministry in the community and the congregation.
13. Develop a strong curriculum for weekly Children’s small group.
Qualifications and Required Skills:
1. A heart for the local church, a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and a passion to help others find and follow Jesus
2. Dynamic speaker with a minimum of 2 years speaking (preferable to students/children) and 3 – 5 years of ministry experience
3. Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
4. Relates well to all kinds of people, builds effective relationships, communicates effectively both interpersonally and corporately
5. Organized, creative thinker and highly productive, working in a fast-paced environment
6. Committed to improvement, seeks constructive criticism, understands strengths and weaknesses
7. Excellent written and oral communication skills
8. Education: Seminary, Bible college graduate, or undergraduate degree greatly preferred
9. Spiritual Maturity Level: Mature, growing follower of Christ
10. Spiritual Gifts: Teaching, Leadership, Organizer, Exhortation
11. Passion to see children grow spiritually, becoming fully devoted followers of Jesus
12. Ability to manage and lead through a large team of lay leaders and volunteers
1. Model the principles and disciplines of Christian life and stewardship. Any conduct unbecoming of a Christian will be cause for immediate termination.
2. Establish a working rapport with each Pastor or Director.
3. Work closely with the Executive Pastor in developing, carrying out, and performing your ministry plans.
4. Tithe to New Walk Church. All staff are regularly held accountable for their tithing as well as the fulfillment of other pledges (example: Building Campaign pledges). No person can be on New Walk staff if they are not fulfilling this Biblical commitment.
5. Become a leader of people, constantly raising up other leaders in your department. A sign of your leadership will be in your ability to raise up new leaders.
6. Be present and prompt for all meetings and all church-wide servant evangelism events in the community that are led by New Walk.
7. Lead the ministry alongside all other ministry leaders and always be ready to serve other leaders as needed.
8. Be prepared to report progress in all areas of your ministry including performance of volunteers, budget, needs, and weaknesses.
9. Perform other appropriate related duties as required by the Lead Pastor and the Executive Pastor.
10. Be prepared to defend the vision of the church and its leadership, including the Lead Pastor, at all times.
11. Host or lead an adult small group 2 of the 3 semesters, annually.
12. Be prompt in all communication with the Lead Pastor, Executive Pastor, other Directors, Children’s Team & members of the congregation.