We’re looking for a Christian Education Director for our thriving Learning ministry. We hope to onboard our new team member for the beginning of the 2020-2021 learning year! Read on to learn more about the position.
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, located in Westborough, MA, is a member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). GSLC is one of the largest congregations in the New England Synod with approximately 700 active members. We are an active community of faith with many ministries that touch the lives of our members as well as people in Westborough and surrounding towns. GSLC is known as a welcoming congregation with outstanding Christian education and music programs.
About the position:
The Christian Education Director (CED) creates a vision and provides leadership for faith formation. The CED is responsible for working with the Christian Education Team and pastors to organize and resource Good Shepherd Lutheran Church’s education programs, with an emphasis on children and youth, as well as to train church members for the task of teaching and leading Christian Education in a shared capacity.
Other responsibilities include:
- Planning, scheduling and effectively communicating a program of events.
- Acquiring and adapting curriculum materials to conform with our Lutheran tradition.
- Recruiting, training, and supporting teachers and assistants.
- Acquiring and organizing necessary study supplies.
- Coordinating community service events and activities as part of faith formation.
- Planning and coordinating an ecumenical Vacation Bible School each summer in partnership with leaders from other Westborough congregations.
- Scheduling and chairing meetings of the Christian Education Team.
- Developing, planning and monitoring the annual Christian Education budget within guidelines.
- Performing other duties as may be directed by the pastors.
The CED should:
- Be a person of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, actively growing his/her own discipleship, with knowledge of Lutheran theology or the willingness to learn.
- Have sufficient training and experience necessary to assist in the nurture of the life of the church, demonstrating strong leadership skills with the ability to engage others.
- Have a passion for Christian Education and possess the characteristics and qualities necessary for working harmoniously, flexibly, and confidentially with church members, pastors and other church staff.
- Be able to adapt for remote/online learning.
Hours of Employment
30 hours per week, which includes Sunday morning and Wednesday evening obligations.