Position Description: The position of Organist/Accompanist is an integral part of the worship at Shenendehowa United Methodist Church, contributing significantly to the quality of worship. The Organist reports directly to the Senior Pastor; works collaboratively with the Director of Traditional Music Ministries and the Contemporary Worship Director.
Shenendehowa United Methodist Church: Shenendehowa UMC is part of the growing Clifton Park community. We have an active congregation involved in mission activities for people of all ages. Our exciting music ministry includes traditional vocal choirs, hand bell choirs, youth choirs & youth band, as well as an adult contemporary worship band. It is through these ministries that we focus on our mission of connecting people to Christ and community.
- A high degree of technical proficiency in playing the organ and piano.
- Experience playing hymns, accompanying choirs, sight-reading.
- Strong team player with the rest of the staff and congregation.
- Committed to the church’s vision, mission, leadership, and people.
- Willingness to participate in non traditional music (keyboard desirable)
Instruments: Allen digital organ with six ranks of pipes attached; Kawai Grand Piano; Clavinova and Roland digital keyboards.
- Play organ/piano music for the traditional Sunday service at 9 am. Generally including but not limited to: Prelude, Hymns (selected through collaboration), Choral Anthems, Offertory, Communion, Postlude
- Rehearse each week with the Chancel and Junior Choirs & occasionally with other ensembles or soloists.
- Establish a personal weekly rehearsal time at the organ. These established practice times will be protected.
- Collaborate with the music team for planning and preparation of worship services and other events.
- Submit the titles and composers of music literature to the church office for inclusion in the Sunday bulletin.
- Additional services that are part of base pay may include special choir concerts, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter service, Christmas Eve services. These additional rehearsals, services/events are scheduled with the concurrence of the music team and senior pastor.
- Provide for qualified substitutes for all absences.
- Provide accompaniment for funerals, memorial services, and weddings as able, with fees being paid by participating parties.
Hours: 6 -8 hours per week on average
Pay/Benefits: Commensurate with experience/education
May use the organ/piano to provide private lessons
Qualified candidates will be contacted for an audition and interview.