The Director of Business Operations for Marietta First United Methodist Church is responsible for leading the day-to-day operations of the church as they relate to finance, human resources, facilities management, food service and the church administrative office.
- Prepare the annual budget with support and input of Program Staff and the Finance Committee and Manage the cash flow position of the church including authority for the banking, investment, and loan/line of credit positions as approved and directed by the Treasurer and Finance Committee.
- Oversee all accounting functions including accounts payable, posting of contributions, payroll, and audits and financial controls.
- Support the Stewardship Chairman in promotion and tracking of operating budget performance, provide accounting support and reporting for capital campaigns and fundraising.
- Support the Endowment Foundation by making bank deposits, providing input and preparing year-end statements.
Human Resources and Compliance:
- Administer the salary budget for clergy and lay staff including payment of wages and housing, appropriate deductions for taxing authorities and as approved by Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Manage the employee benefits programs including medical, dental, disability, and life insurance and 403(b) savings plan for the lay staff and act as liaison with North Georgia Conference for clergy benefit administration.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable governmental regulations and requirements and work with legal counsel when required or requested, especially as relates to employee matters.
- Recommend changes and requisite updates to the Employee Handbook and implementing changes with lay staff upon approval by Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Supervise the facilities infrastructure team (routine building maintenance, HVAC, plumbing, utilities) and all custodial, housekeeping staff to oversee the maintenance, safety, security and upkeep of all church facilities, grounds and vehicles and to ensure the highest and most effective use in order to meet all the ministry vision and functions of the church.
- Provide oversight for the church calendar and scheduling of all events to provide appropriate space and setups for meetings and events of the staff, church organizations/committees and congregation and the non-profit civic-oriented community.
- Ensure compliance with fire and safety codes
- Recommend updates to Facilities Usage Guidelines and ensure compliance with policies of Board of Trustees and evaluate the property insurance needs of the church making recommendations to the Board of Trustees.
- Supervise the Chef and food services staff to ensure efficient, safe and effective food services which align to the vision of the church and its ministries.
- Ensure church and non-church requests for events with food services are aligned with the church calendar and budget for each is effectively managed for food offerings and the use of staff and volunteers.
- Ensure compliance with food service regulations
General Administration and Compliance:
- Coordinate the work of administrative assistants and receptionist in support of the various ministries and programs.
- Responsible for IT, copiers and telephone systems and assessing staff office space and equipment, recommending changes and improvements.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors and service providers.
- Serve on Church Council, attending regularly scheduled meetings and Annual Charge Conference, assist the Senior Minister, Program Staff and committee members as needed.
Education, Experience and Skills Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree, or Executive Certificate Program Completion, or minimum of 5 years of equivalent experience in business administration
- 5+ years experience managing people and leading functions such as human resources, finances and operations.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must have good communication skills and be able to build a team and create an environment of trust.
- Strong working knowledge relevant laws and regulations.
- Demonstrates strategic and critical thinking skills and demonstrable experience understanding budgeting and the finances of the operation.
- Demonstrable track record of ongoing education and development (e.g., training seminars/courses in Finance & Accounting, Human Resources Management, Infrastructure Management, Business Strategic Planning)
- Proven ability to plan and manage operational process for maximum efficiency.
- Experience working in a non-profit organization and/or church organization (e.g., United Methodist Church)
First United Methodist Church of Marietta is a warm, traditional church located just off the square in Marietta, GA. Our members and congregation are from Marietta and the surrounding communities. MFUMC is both an equal-opportunity employer and a Christian, nonprofit, religious organization. We conduct hiring without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, marital status, parental status, or disability of an otherwise-qualified individual.
We offer competitive salary and benefit packages, as well as opportunities for professional and personal growth and development