Preston Hollow Presbyterian Church seeks an experienced person to provide oversight of facilities, finance, risk management, and human resources for the Church. Full-time exempt position. Benefits provided. Required: Bachelor’s degree (in business and/or accounting preferred); strong knowledge of general ledger accounting system and analytical skills; along with interpersonal, organizational and communications skills. Experience in a large church preferred.
Purpose: Supports the Church by providing oversight of facilities, finance, risk management and human resource programs and policies for the Church.
Accountability: The Director of Business Operations shall be directly responsible to the Senior Associate Pastor for Care and Administration and the Staff Committee. The Senior Associate Pastor for Care and Administration will review the performance of the Director of Business Operations in accordance with procedures established by the Staff Committee.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: The Director of Business Operations will work with other members of the Church staff and various committees within the church and perform duties requiring initiative and responsibility in the following:
Human Resource Management: The Director of Business Operations is responsible for oversight and support of the Human Resources Coordinator in the Human Resource functions of the Church. As needs dictate, the Executive Team may collaborate with the Director of Business Operations in certain of these Human Resource functions.
Facilities Management: The Director of Business Operations is responsible for oversight and support of the Facilities Manager in the tasks of guiding current maintenance projects and planning for future usage/development. As well, the Director of Business Operations shall:
1. Oversee the Facilities Manager in the maintenance, cleanliness and overall appearance of the buildings and grounds.
2. Support appropriate committees and staff departments in the execution of space planning and utilization, including overseeing use of the building by outside groups.
3. Maintain control over access to our building and the security of employees and church members on site.
4. In collaboration with the Facility Manager, monitor the physical condition of all office equipment in order to assure proper maintenance and replacement.
5. In collaboration with the Facilities Manager and/or other appropriate staff, coordinate all real property purchases, dispositions, and financing.
6. Work with the Property Committee to provide project management guidance for all major capital expenditures.
Risk Management: The Director of Business Operations shall identify the areas of risk associated with the operation of the church, establish and maintain adequate insurance coverage for identified areas of risk, work with insurance carriers, providing training and awareness programs in all areas of concern. Specific areas include:
1. Building risks – fire, theft, collapse.
2. Liability risks – staff, visitors, members.
3. Employee risks – injury, theft, employment practices.
4. Catastrophe risks – child abduction, embezzlement, building collapse.
Financial Management: The Director of Business Operations is responsible for oversight and support of the Director of Finance in the tasks of guiding the financial operations of the Church. Working with the Director of Finance, the Director of Business Operations shall:
1. Organize and supervise the business interests of the church (including the Foundation and Springhill Retreat Center).
2. Close Church books monthly and annually, and submits a complete financial statement to the Church finance committee and the session as well as tailored reports to other committees and staff as requested.
3. Coordinate and assist the finance committee in preparation of the annual budget. Consult with finance committee and staff to insure proper cash flow forecasting and management as well as assisting in the preparation of a financial strategic plan.
4. Provide budget reports that provide timely comparative information to staff, committees, and session.
5. Assist outside auditor with an annual audit for the Church, Foundation, and Springhill Retreat Center.
6. Oversee investment performance of endowed assets with various boards. Recommend and monitor gift directives for temporarily and permanently restricted gifts.
General: The Director of Business Operations shall:
1. Directly supervise the Facilities Manager, Human Resources Coordinator, Director of Finance and Receptionist(s).
2. Maintain office hours in consultation with the Senior Associate Pastor for Care and Administration. This includes attending weekly staff meetings, planning meetings, Staff Committee and Session meetings, and fellowship gatherings.
3. Assist Senior Associate Pastors in the onboarding of new staff members.
4. Execute other requests made by the Senior Associate Pastor for Care and Administration and/or the Executive Team.
The above noted position description is not intended to describe in detail the multitude of tasks that are assigned, but rather to give the individual a general sense of the responsibilities and expectations of this position. Essential functions will change as the nature of business demands change.
• Serves the Goals of the Church: Works to accomplish the overall goals of the church within the scope of my position.
• Communication: Communicates effectively and professionally (both verbally and written) with all members, guests, and staff.
• Hospitality: Generates a sense of hospitality by his/her very presence; communicates a sense of availability, warmth, openness and approachability.
• Interpersonal Skills: Establishes good working relationships; works well with people at all levels; considers the impact of his/her actions on others; uses diplomacy and tact; is approachable; avoids communication triangles.