The Director of Children and Youth Ministries will create and maintain dynamic Christian education learning programs for children and youth that are in harmony with the Reformed tradition and PC(USA). Working with a team of volunteers, and in coordination with church staff and EBCA leadership, s/he will lead an educational ministry that provides understanding and connection to our faith foundations while encouraging spiritual growth.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES OR RESPONSIBILITIES:
Church Children & Youth
A. Lead the youth program (middle through high school). Ensure the milestones for children, youth, and their families are carried out and communicated to the congregation at large; know all children, youth, and families by name.
B. Build meaningful relationships with children, youth, and parents and work in cooperation with other staff members and lay leadership of the church.
C. Oversee the integration of children and youth into the life and ministry of the church, including worship leadership
D. Prepare annual budget input for Children and Youth Ministries.
E. Provide to the Pastor and Christian Faith Formation Ministry Team quarterly reports on enrollment and programmatic activities in the Children and Youth Ministry area.
F. Select Sunday School and Curriculum and obtain approval by Pastor and Christian Faith Formation Ministry Team.
G. Recruit and train Sunday School teachers and youth program volunteers. Teach when necessary.
H. Lead Children’s Time in Sunday Services.
I. Oversee nursery—staff hiring, volunteer organization, space oversight and safety.
H. Ensure that all first-time visitors with children or youth receive an exceptional welcome and timely follow up.
J. Encourage youth to take the next natural step in their journey of Christian discipleship, including involvement in worship, leadership and youth educational opportunities.
K. Review attendance monthly and follow-up with any youth or the parents of any children who have been absent for the month.
L. Coordinate, plan and serve as the point person for PYG and 608.
M. Create communications for all Children and Youth ministries programs for all communication platforms, including, but not be limited to, Church Calendar, Newsletter, Website, Social Media Platforms.
M. In coordination with the Youth Ministry Team, plan and execute special events and programs for the youth ministry (e.g. NaCoMe retreats, quarterly parent and youth service events, Back to School with a Purpose and the summer mission trip)
O. Assist Pastor in organizing and leading confirmation program run every two years for 7th grade and older youth.
P. Align with Mission & Outreach goals for the Church to support these efforts via educational programming and church life events.
East Brentwood Children’s Academy
A. Serve as a consistent, approachable, and welcoming EBPC presence for EBCA parents and children.
B. Plan and teach EBCA Chapel classes including regular weekly chapel class (Tuesdays and Wednesday mornings) and monthly group chapel.
C. Coordinate with the EBCA Director joint initiatives between EBPC and EBCA that connect church and EBCA families (ex. Parenting Classes, Springapalooza, Rally Day, Fall Festival, etc.)
All Areas (Church and EBCA)
A. Implements the Child Protection Policy of the EBCA and Church, including overseeing obtaining criminal background checks on volunteers and all hired EBCA and Church staff in contact with children.
KNOWLEDGE/EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
● Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
● An educational background in theology and bible and demonstrated experience in providing education in a church context is preferred, but not required.
SKILLS REQUIRED (manual, verbal or mental manipulations of data or things):
● Skills in visioning, planning, coordinating, executing and promoting Learning programs for all ages
● Skills for teaching and relating well to others
● Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; sit, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch and occasionally lift or move objects weighing up to ten pounds
ABILITIES REQUIRED (work characteristics, behaviors, leadership abilities, etc.):
● To be aware of and sensitive to being an adult role model for young children and youth
● To have conversations with the Pastor on regular work objectives
● To maintain an attitude of teamwork and cooperation with staff and membership
● To promote a ministry that nurtures and encourages the growth of the Christian spirit within each individual
RELATIONSHIPS, ACCOUNTABILITY, AND EVALUATION
● Relates to the session, largely through the Moderator of the Christian Faith Formation Ministry Team, and to various ministries as Director of Christian Education; to other members of the staff as a colleague; to volunteers in Christian Education Ministries as supervisor, and to the Pastor as Head of Staff.
● Serves as part of the Christian Faith Formation Ministry Team and the Youth Ministry Team
● Reports to the Pastor and is accountable to the session, congregation and other staff members through the Pastor.
● Performance Evaluation is conducted annually by the Pastor in consultation with the appropriate ministry areas and the Personnel Committee.
PERSONNEL POLICIES, BENEFITS and SCHEDULE
● The Director of Christian Education will be classified and governed according to the EBPC personnel policy in effect during employment as a Part Time, Regular employee, classified as Exempt and paid on a salaried basis.
● This position is scheduled for 30 hours per week, 52 weeks per year.