Shallowford Presbyterian Church is seeking a Director of Children’s Ministries to advance and broaden its ministry to children and their families.
The mission of Shallowford Presbyterian Church is to invite all people to a faithful way of life in Christ and in community. Shallowford is a welcoming, energetic and committed congregation that has grown from 745 members in 2010 to over 1,000 members today. Many of our new members are young families who are eager to plug into church life, grow in their faith, and fellowship with one another. We are looking for a Director of Children’s Ministries who can optimize our programs for children and families through foundational Christian education, innovate multigenerational activities, and collaborative teamwork with church staff and volunteers.
DESCRIPTION: This position reports directly to the Associate Pastor for Mission & Discipleship and is responsible for overseeing all programming ministry and needs for children through 5th grade, including Sunday mornings, Wednesday evenings, special events, and summer activities. The position is full-time (40 hours per week). It includes a continuing education budget and shares 1/3 of an administrative assistant. The full-time position includes medical benefits through the Board of
Pensions PC(USA). Please note: If candidates are ordained or able to be ordained in the PC(USA), this position can be a contract call. We plan to fill this position effective June 1, 2020.
– In conjunction with the Christian Education Committee, recruit, train, and oversee scheduling of Sunday School teachers and curriculum for ages 2 to 5th grade
– Specific task for Sunday morning include: o Coordinate nursery workers o Confirm children’s Sunday school rooms are ready for students o Check in with teachers to ensure they have supplies for lessons.
– Prepare and deliver the Children’s sermon at the 11:00 am worship service
– Plan and lead Children’s Worship after the conclusion of the Children’s Sermon in conjunction with the Cherub Choir rehearsal
– Provide activities to help children engage in worship (children’s bulletin, worship bag, etc.)
– Collaborate with the Director of Children’s Choirs to plan the annual Children’s Sunday worship service each year
Wednesday BLAST Program
– Oversee programs for children during Wednesday programming at Shallowford
– Specific tasks for Wednesday evenings include: o Plan and lead lessons for 3rd through 5th graders during the pre-dinner hour o Plan and lead lessons for 1st and 2nd graders during the after-dinner hour o Recruit volunteers for lesson times and to help manage children during dinner
– Plan, lead and oversee all aspects of Vacation Bible School
– Plan and implement other special events for children ages 2-5th grade that allow them to form friendships and grow in their faith, such as Kids’ Night Out and Kids on a Mission
– Develop special events for children and their families to join in fellowship and serve in mission, such as Easter Egg Hunt, Trunk or Treat, CampUs, and Elementary Family Mission Trip
Shallowford Presbyterian School – www.shallowfordschool.com
– Coordinate with the Director of Shallowford Presbyterian School to share space and event information for the mutual success of the church and school
– Collaborate with the Director of the Shallowford Presbyterian School to plan joint events for the school and church communities
– Attend monthly school board meetings as the staff liaison
– Develop, resource, and staff a Committee for Ministry to Children and their Families
– In conjunction with Associate Pastor for Mission & Discipleship and Associate Pastor for Youth
& Programs, implement the Child Protection Policy and manage the policy training of all volunteers with children
– Provide weekly communication regarding various Children’s Ministry events and activities to families and the church
– Work to involve and welcome new families and members into the life and ministry of
Shallowford Presbyterian Church
– Attend regular staff meetings and work collaboratively with others on the staff
– Handle other tasks as may be assigned by the Senior Pastor or the Associate Pastor for Mission & Discipleship from time to time
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in Christian education or other educational area. Certification as a Presbyterian Christian Educator or theological education is desired.
INVITING ALL PEOPLE TO A FAITHFUL WAY OF LIFE IN CHRIST AND IN COMMUNITY
2375 Shallowford Road, NE Atlanta, GA 30345