The Setauket Presbyterian Church, established in 1660, celebrates the gifts, worth and dignity of each person. Open to all people because we believe everyone is created in God’s image, SPC is a place to deepen faith, share God’s love, and create community.
The Director of Spiritual Formation shepherds disciples of all ages towards a deeper connection with God. The Director is an energetic and encouraging leader who can creatively engage children and adults together in an intergenerational community of faith. The Director also works on integrating both newcomers and existing congregants into the mission and ministry of the church.
This is a 3/4 time (30 hrs/wk) salaried position.
Accountable to the session, under the supervision of the pastor as head of staff
The Director of Spiritual Formation works collaboratively with congregants and staff to provide the Setauket Presbyterian Church family with meaningful opportunities to deepen their faith. The Director of Spiritual Formation will:
1. Support the Christian Education and Adult Education Committees in creating imaginative and diverse experiences for church members of all ages. This includes direct involvement with the existing Church School for pre-school and elementary age children, Youth Group and Confirmation Classes for teens, and adult programs. It also includes providing staff leadership for exciting new initiatives such as Small Groups and intergenerational activities.
2. Support the Membership and Nominating Committees in celebrating the gifts of our congregants. This includes recognizing the strengths of current members, welcoming new members, and helping to more fully integrating both into the life of the church.
3. Partner with other church staff to respond to the growing and changing needs of the congregation, acting as an important part of the Church leadership team.
1. A desire to work collaboratively in ministry with other staff and with the leadership of the congregation to nurture spiritual growth for all ages
2. An eagerness to learn about programs, curriculum, and new ideas in Christian education and spiritual formation, including through participation in relevant conferences or training
3. Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
4. Creativity and an openness to experimentation as we discern together where God is calling the church
5. A willingness to serve the congregation at Setauket Presbyterian Church with energy, imagination, and love
Interested candidates should please send a cover letter, resume, and two-three references.