The Director of Women’s Discipleship (DWMD) will serve Signal Mountain Presbyterian Church by providing leadership in Women’s Ministry at Signal Pres. This leadership provides for the ongoing spiritual formation and training of leaders and teachers who are committed to the vision of living ordinary life as the faithful presence of Jesus’ love. For this reason, the tasks of this position are focused primarily around discipleship, teaching (presenting and applying the truths of the Bible), equipping (teaching others to present and apply the truths of the Bible), and creating discipleship environments for others to hear and apply the truths of the Bible, as well as regular one-on-one outreach, engagement, and care of women in the Signal Pres congregation.
This is a full-time position, with regular oversight of Women of the Word and regular (though not weekly) participation in liturgy leadership during corporate worship as the central public face of the position.
• Continual pursuit of a life of depth and vitality with Jesus and in her relationships with family, friends, and the congregation.
• The DWMD focuses on two primary areas of ministry: Relational Discipleship & Ministry Oversight
Relational Discipleship: 40% of Responsibilities
• This is a relational position and as such this position is responsible for outreach, care, and discipleship within the women’s ministry, proactively seeking and welcoming new women and reaching out to others who are in new or challenging seasons of life.
• Towards the goal of walking with women in all seasons of life, the DWMD will join with the pastors in hospital visitation and crisis care.
• As a part of setting this tone, there is an expectation of weekly, regular meetings with women as a part of welcome, outreach, and care.
• The DWMD will have a regular role in leading Sunday worship that is reflective of her role as a senior leader on staff and that makes her known and accessible to the congregation.
Ministry Oversight: 60% of Responsibilities
• With the Associate Pastor of Discipleship, the DWMD designs, plans and implements Women of the Word—a teaching environment led and taught by women of Signal Pres and with curriculum that is either tailored to or created for our own context and the needs of the women in our church and community. The DWMD will teach regularly but will work to include other teachers from within Signal Pres.
• Vision and leadership for Women’s Ministry that pursues a curriculum and ethos that seeks to “equip all people to live ordinary life as the faithful presence of Jesus’ love.” A primary value of this will be delivery of teaching and co-laboring with other teachers to provide biblical teaching that trains women to read Scripture faithfully, to behold Jesus as the living center of the text, and to apply its teaching for deeper freedom in the Gospel and service to our neighbors in a way that emphasizes our
enduring values: Biblical Authority, Transformational Discipleship, Missional Living, Intergenerational
Investment, and Sacrificial Love.
• As a part of Women’s Ministry, the DWMD is responsible for the coordination, planning, and execution of the annual Women’s Retreat and other women’s gatherings throughout the year.
• Responsible for coordination with and support of Signal Pres Women’s Circles.
• Serves as advisor and the primary staff contact for the MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) coordinator.
• With the Associate Pastor of Discipleship, the DWMD participates in and helps to oversee the Signal Pres discipleship ministry, which centers around a two-year curriculum developed for our context and in coordination with our church vision. The DWMD will give specific attention to supporting our female discipleship group leaders in their ministry.
• Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree in ministry or theology-related field preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to relate to and engage with a multi-generational congregation.
• Comfortable with equipping, delegating, and working with ministry teams.
• Demonstrated experience in Christian ministry with an emphasis on teaching and small group leadership.
• Agreement with the Reformed, evangelical, and Presbyterian distinctives of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.
• Demonstrated relational gifts and communication skills.
Salary is commensurate with experience; full benefits.