This ministry position helps fulfill Discovery’s mission by coordinating the worship services, including music and liturgy ministries of Discovery. Because Christian music is an important means to glorify our God, the Director will ensure that the worship of Discovery is a powerful force to praise God, to build up God’s people, and to attract God’s lost people. The Director will encourage members to develop and use their talents as they actively participate in the worship ministry. The Director will ensure that the worship presented in our services and special programs is consistent with Reformed theology and complements the mission of the church and ministered under the spiritual authority of the Elders. Director of Worship reports to the Pastor and is accountable, in doctrine and practice, to the Elders of Discovery Church.
- Provide meaningful God-glorifying worship.
- Provide a worship experience that builds up the church family and welcomes the community.
- Plan worship services (selecting music, coordinating liturgy, and incorporating the arts) and communicate with those involved.
- Lead the praise and worship teams, communicate with the tech team and the social media director, and serve as a worship leader.
- Lead the church family in learning new songs that complements our worship and brings praise to God.
- Schedule vocalists/instrumentalists/tech team for each Sunday and special services.
- Lead the Worship Planning Team (which includes the pastor, social media director, and other church family members) and meetings to incorporate creative elements into worship services.
- Help develop and coordinate the vision, objectives, and strategies for worship.
- Develop and cultivate the musical talents (vocal and instrumental) of Discovery family members and guests to encourage participation in our worship ministry.
- Cultivate worship leadership within Discovery family members.
- Maintain a library of instrumental music.
- Oversee copyright compliance and report songs used in worship to CCLI.
- Prepare an annual music budget for approval by the Leadership Team.
- Meet with the Pastor for supervision, support, and prayer for up to twice a month.
- Meet with staff for monthly staff meeting.
- Meet with the Leadership Team every other month.
- Submit a weekly log of hours served in ministry areas to Pastor and Lead Elder.
- Assist and participate with other church events and efforts.
Knowledge and Requirements:
- A mature and growing faith in Jesus Christ, models the life of a Jesus follower, and has a basic understanding and agreement with Reformed theology.
- Will become a member of Discovery Church and be active in several areas of church life.
- Ability to play an instrument.
- Demonstrates leadership in the ability to work well with volunteers in a church setting.
- Open minded to new ideas and able to build on the creativity of team members.
- Great organizational skills.
- Skilled with necessary programs in a computer system, including a basic understanding of email, e-learning, and computer navigation. Ability to use other software as required to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Love and respect for people, and a desire to be in relationship with them.
- Has academic and/or experiential training (such as, leading a praise and worship team, and directing instrumentalists) that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the essential qualifications of the position.
- Annual review done by the Pastor and/or Elders will ensure all responsibilities above are meeting our expectations.
- Typically, hourly compensation will be renewed annually with mutual agreement following an evaluation in the fall.
Essential Physical Demands:
- May be required to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Infrequent light physical effort required.
Hours and Compensation:
- Hours worked: 15-18 hours weekly, to be logged.
- Weeks paid: 50 per year.
- Compensation: $15-25/hour based on education, training, and experience.