Understanding that Arundel Christian Church (ACC) is a large and actively growing church, the Executive Pastor serves as a sort of Chief Operating Officer (COO) under the leadership of our Lead Pastor. The Executive Pastor works closely with the Lead Pastor to facilitate the necessary operational functions that make ministry possible. As the Lead Pastor casts vision and serves as the primary teacher, the Executive Pastor manages all staff (pastors and directors directly), church finances, and other operational details to ensure the vision is carried out with excellence.
Exhortation, Leadership, Discernment, and Administration
1. The primary role of the Executive Pastor is to support the Lead Pastor in the accomplishment of specific ministry goals by developing, implementing, and monitoring strategies to accomplish ministry objectives with excellence. This position is an extension of the Lead Pastor in relation to all things “ministry” and sits as an Advisor to the Overseer Team.
2. Love Jesus, His Word, and His church. The right candidate will have a thriving relationship with God that comes from a true understanding of His Holiness and His grace. The candidate will embrace a church made up of different people, many who are young in faith and difficult to love.
3. Develop the church staff to: a) become stronger visionaries; b) practice better communication; and, c) achieve their ministry objectives and goals.
4. Participate in the annual goal-setting process, in partnership with the Lead Pastor, to establish key objectives and tasks for all staff members. Lead bi-annual employment reviews.
5. Establish and maintain a set of key performance measures (KPMs) that provide the Lead Pastor and church staff with ongoing visibility of the effectiveness of all functional areas of the church.
6. Work closely with the Lead Pastor to develop financial plans and prioritize expenses to accomplish ACC’s mission and vision.
7. Lead most staff meetings and attend Production Planning meetings.
8. Conduct individual monthly meetings with pastoral and ministry staff monthly to provide development and ministry direction.
OTHER KEY DESCRIPTORS:
A successful Executive Pastor will excel at being the following…
A PARTNER: A trusted partner and resource to the Lead Pastor of ACC who gives perspective and encouragement, while providing direction to the staff of ACC. Execution with excellence and attention to detail are a must for a great partnership.
AN ENTREPRENEUR: An activator and developer who strives to see the ACC, and her people, function at their maximum capacity – who isn’t afraid of new things and ideas, even if there is risk involved.
A LEADER: Someone who works to connect the present reality to the future vision with clear next steps organizationally by overseeing teams that ensure the stewardship of the resources entrusted to us by God (people, finances, technology, art, equipment, etc.). A leader of teams that architect solutions, set priorities, and design systems to achieve our mission.
A PEOPLE-SYSTEMS ENGINEER: Someone who develops, maintains, and improves systems that create a gravitational pull toward discipleship and leadership development while keeping ministry in the hands of volunteers.
A TEAM BUILDER: A co-laborer that establishes relational trust, developing partnerships among team leaders, and modeling a disciple-making life – aligning all efforts to the mission.
A TEACHER: Someone who, on occasion, is able to relay truth in both small class settings and in large Sunday gatherings.
FULL OF GRIT: This job is not for a quitter. Because we are called to love hurting and broken people, we should expect hurting and broken-people problems. It will be hard, so it requires a unique person that is up for the difficulties of ministry leadership.
A SERVANT LEADER: Someone who loves to serves others for the larger sake of the Gospel. No task is beneath them and flexibility is embraced for the cause of the Gospel.
A DISCIPLE: Not only should this candidate love Jesus and His ministry fiercely, but they should reflect the truth that to live as a disciple of Jesus is to make disciples of Jesus!
This position requires a minimum of 5+ years of experience as a senior leader in a similar executive position (preferred) or 7+ years of experience in another pastoral position. Possession of a Bachelor’s Degree in ministry, or another related field, is required. Master’s work in Biblical studies is a plus. The successful individual must have a proven track record of effective leadership, judgment, and above reproach character.