To proclaim the good news of the gospel of Jesus Christ to all persons and to communicate its
joy and its justice. To provide spiritual leadership, administrative oversight, organizational
direction, and pastoral care to a staff and congregation of approximately 1,000 members. This
full-time pastoral position will be in place until a new Lead Pastor/Head of Staff is called and
approved by PNC and the church congregation.
• Preach the gospel during the worship of God and coordinate the worship ministry.
• Guide the Session in continued innovation for faithful ministry in a time of global
• Moderate the Session and meetings of the congregation ensuring that the church
fulfills all requirements of the Book of Order of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
• Conduct wedding services and funeral services as requested by church members.
• Teach subjects of Christian concern, such as Bible studies, the intersection between
faith and public life, and church history.
• Encourage, with the Personnel Committee, a process of staff development that
includes a job performance review procedure for all church personnel.
• Facilitate a strategic visioning planning process including officers, staff, and church
members, with the goal of preparing the church for its next installed head of staff.
• Plan, program, and evaluate, along with the elders, Session responsibilities in the
areas of Finance & Stewardship, Personnel, and Worship.
• Maintain cooperation and communication among the church staff through regular
• Provide pastoral care to church members and neighbors as requested.
• Represent the congregation through activities in the West Chester community.
• Connect the congregation and the Presbytery of Donegal during the transition
• Serve in higher councils of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
• Fulfill the role of the Interim Pastor by:
– helping the congregation clarify its identity
– facilitating the congregation to identify its strengths and challenges including any
staffing (lay or ordained) transitions
– guiding the congregation in strengthening its relationship with the larger church
and local community
– assisting the congregation to prepare for new leadership, encouraging the people
to envision and plan for a new future
• Faith in Jesus Christ
• Ability to preach the Good News of the Gospel and teach the Scriptures
• Energy and enthusiasm for the challenging work of interim ministry.
• Enthusiastic congregational leadership under the authority of Scripture and guided by
the Constitution of the Presbyterian Church (USA)
• Pastoral skills that are caring and compassionate
• Willingness to shepherd the congregation through the transition to an installed head of
PRINCIPAL WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Accountable to the presbytery and to the congregation through the Personnel Committee of
Session. Reports to the Personnel Committee. Relates to the Session and Trustees with an
emphasis on the Worship and Finance Committees.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
• Ordained Minister of the Word and Sacrament in the PC(USA) or Formula of Agreement
• A minimum of 10 years of experience in Senior Minister/Head of Staff roles
• Experience with large, urban/suburban congregations
• Experience as Interim Pastor and/or completion of Interim Ministry training strongly
• A Master of Divinity degree from a nationally recognized seminary or Divinity School
accredited by the Association of Theological Schools (ATS)
• Understanding and experience of financial management and budgeting
• Passion for preaching and willingness to work in both traditional and contemporary
styles of worship
• Superior interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrates compassion, decisiveness, and equanimity
• Interest in working with a congregation with political and socioeconomic diversity among
its members that is passionate about working for the betterment of our local community