Position Title: Mission Coordinator
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
Employment Classification/Status: Staff Part-Time, 20 hrs/week with possible growth to Full- time
To support the overall mission of St John Lutheran Church to Connect with Jesus (2) Connect with Others (2) and Change the World (6). The Mission Coordinator is responsible for coordinating, developing, planning, and organizing local, domestic and international outreach mission opportunities and the overall mission ministry for the congregation by exploring and developing short, medium and long term opportunities and programs involving a growing number of participants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Recognize, invite, lead, educate, equip and coordinate lay persons who are called to help the congregation in the ministry of missions to fulfill our church’s mission statement.
• Strategize, prioritize and implement missions programs, services, events and faith nurturing activities for members of the congregation, the community and partnering local, domestic and international churches and organizations.
• Investigate local, national, and international mission opportunities that have appeal across the entire congregational spectrum and across generations so that we grow the number of members involved in these activities.
• Gather and compile existing congregational mission activities to develop comprehensive base of potential activities for any and all members.
• Supervise, schedule, mentor, lead and work alongside members, volunteer servants, interns and colleagues involved in missions activities or trips.
• Collaborate with the communications team to create effective methods for increasing awareness and encouraging participation in our missions ministry opportunities (i.e. St John’s website, social media, signage, newsletters, and speaking engagements).
• Model Christian character as evidenced by a life of prayer, spiritual disciplines, weekly worship, tithing and participation in the life of St John.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create and oversee annual missions budget.
• Participate in weekly leadership team meetings and periodic staff retreats.
• Recommend changes to policies or procedures to improve the ministry of missions and overall church operations.
• Oversee the scheduling and coordination of travel arrangements for domestic and international mission trips.
• Create intern ministries to train the next generation of leaders.
• Assist with and perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Respondent Instructions
Respondents shall include their strategy of how they and this position would help change the overall culture at St John to bring missions into a higher focus and priority.
Additional Criteria for Evaluation by Search Committee
• Bachelor’s Degree or minimum of three years leadership experience, including team building and volunteer development.
• Exhibits strong leadership, problem-solving, self-starting and listening skills.
• Team player mentality, but able to work independently and be self-directed and self-disciplined.
• Visionary person, willing and able to explore most effective ways to fulfill the mission of the missions ministry and of the overall church.
• High energy level and positive sense of humor for the demands of a growing ministry.
• Must have a valid driver’s license, as this position requires driving missionaries locally and long distances (drivers background check is required for this position).
• Must either have a current, valid passport; or have the ability to obtain a valid passport, as this position may require flying independently and/or with missionaries domestically and internationally.
• Experience with travel planning and coordination.
• Budgeting knowledge, including experience with donations and gift giving.
Spiritual Gifts (God-given gifts valuable in completing job duties):
• Administration – organize people and ministries efficiently
• Apostleship – adapting to a different culture to share the gospel or do ministry
• Encouragement – encouraging others to grow in their faith
• Evangelism – sharing the gospel with others
• Helping (Serving) – providing aid and relief with which to meet practical needs
• Leadership – motivating and inspiring others
• Mercy – ministering to others with compassion
• Passion – earnest desire to spread the Gospel and enable others to find opportunities to do so
• Alignment with Vision – Supportive of the vision as articulated by the Senior Pastor