The Corner Uniting Church of Australia (The Corner)
TITLE OF POSITION: New Church Team Leader
CLASSIFICATION: Ministry of Pastor
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: 12-month fixed term contract, 20 hrs wk.
1. Summary of the broad purpose of the position in relation to the Church’s goals
The Corner leadership team engages in new partnerships and missional activities with the community. We provide a range of ways for people to begin their faith journey through a variety of models of church. Opportunities are there for people of any age to begin a journey of a life of faith.
This new Team Leader role is to intentionally use relational hospitality to craft new ways of being church. This is to take place in our growing edge with our partnerships amongst the wider community. Part of the role will be to seek out new opportunities for partnerships in line with The Corners UC’s mission and vision statements.
It is envisioned that hospitality & food are likely to be part of any new church, utilizing the cafe space; that a new church be established in the first instance amongst our families from Goodstart Child Care, Darlington & Warradale Primary Schools & our Kanga Mums. These are families with whom we are building relationships. The position of New Church Team Leader will work closely with our Children’s and Families Team Leader.
This exciting start-up project will require the New Church Team Leader to liaise with the community and develop feasible options. The incumbent will engage with community groups, service clubs, other organizations and individuals. The New Church Team Leader will have responsibility for establishing and evolving this new model by working closely with the Minister & wider Ministry team.
The Corner seeks an energetic applicant who can develop a sustainable model of new church. The successful applicant will develop new pilot opportunities for people to take the first step of belonging, with the longer-term goal of leading people into believing.
Whilst the general direction has been set, there is scope to develop a wide range of new initiatives and grow this as a thriving ministry space. We will be having an agile approach to project management.
2. Reporting and working relationships
The New Church Team Leader reports to The Corner Minister, Rev Mark Hewitt (Ministry Team Leader) on a day to day basis. The Team Leader’s primary responsibility is to The Corner Church Council.
The incumbent will be supported by The Corner Ministry Leadership Team, congregation and volunteers.
3. Statement of key outcomes and associated activities
The New Church Team Leader will:
• In consultation with Ministry Team Leader & ministry team, develop new missional congregations around relational hospitality.
• Develop ways of communicating the claims of Jesus in ways that resonate with the contemporary society.
• Develop our engagement and dialogue as a church with society where we seek to build upon a common interest to develop community around shared values and faith.
• Enable people without a background in the church to understand and respond to the message of the Bible.
• Offer practical, spiritual and relational care to people contacted through our partnerships.
• Be part of newly established partnerships
• Seek out new partnerships with community groups.
• Assess pilot ministry opportunities through cost/benefit analysis and developing budget proposals;
• Continue to develop the faith development potential of the cafe asset to existing activities such as Sunday AM, Messy Church, Blank Canvas, Break Fast, Garage Sales and A Thin Place.
• Identify grant funding opportunities;
• Be a collaborative member of The Corner UC Ministry Team
• Attend regular meetings with the Ministry Team Leader and provide monthly reporting to Church Council on progress and outcomes
Personal abilities, aptitudes, skills
• Extensive experience in faith & community development.
• Ability to ‘cold canvass’ and make connection with community groups and organisations to understand their requirements and find areas of opportunity to connect with The Corner. Proven ability to work with external stakeholders and development of formal and informal partnerships;
• Energetic self-initiator with strong communication skills and ability to relate to all types of people. Ability to take initiative under general direction;
• Ability to think outside of the square to develop new initiatives and balance this with sustainability considerations (financial and volunteer resources);
• Ability to assess opportunities for pilot programs and make recommendations to Church Council, including assumptions regarding financial feasibility of pilots (e.g. costings, options for raising revenue, etc).
• Ability to put into place, or recommend performance measures and reporting of outcomes of new initiatives;
• A person of faith, preferably a member of the Uniting Church;
• Work as part of the Ministry Team at The Corner;
• A passion for food. A willingness to experiment and try new things and be creative.
• Understanding of people, their well being and faith development
• Community development approaches and models
• Development of new Ministries
• Methods for assessing the outcomes of initiatives
• Volunteer sourcing and working with volunteers
• The Corner vision and mission,
Synod SA strategic directions and commitment to the Uniting Church ethos.
• Grant funding options
• Budgeting and costing new initiatives
• Promotion/marketing of new ministries/services
• Ability to cold canvass
• Working with and motivating people
• Development of new activities/ministries which can be opportunities for the first point of ministry
• Worked in a team environment
• Worked with volunteers
• Worked with community groups and initiated community engagement.
• Building a cohesive engaged team
• Consulting community groups
• Facilitation of partnerships and agreements for mutual benefit
• Applied for grant funding
• Worked in new models of faith development
• This is a part time position following the Ministry of Pastor Salary and Allowances Guidelines.
Employment terms and conditions as set by the Human Resources and Remuneration Committee for Presbytery and Synod Office will apply.
• A current registration Child Safe Environments – Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect is essential (if necessary UCSA will schedule training as soon as practicable after commencement).
• It is mandatory in order to fulfill the inherent requirements of this position that a Uniting Church SA National Criminal History Record Check be current at all times.
• A current driver’s licence
• May require working outside of business hours