The Next Generation and Families Discipleship Pastor will lead our church’s efforts to minister to children and students from birth to age 18 and their families, lead our education ministries, as well as participate in pastoral duties as needed.
· Support and execute the vision of the senior pastor.
· Create systems and processes that further the church’s ministry objectives.
· Align the ministries and departments of the church under your care around the church’s core vision.
· Work with the senior pastor to facilitate an annual strategic planning process to evaluate the effectiveness of the church’s ministries.
· Serve as a member of the church’s leadership team whose duties include setting the long-term objectives and strategies of the church.
· Participate in pastoral duties as needed. (Be able to preach and teach upon request.)
· Participate in all staff meetings and retreats.
· Initial focus and primary responsibility will be in ministry to families with children and students.
· Define a vision/plan for the next generation ministry that contributes to the church’s vision.
· Refine and maintain a security system that protects all minors in our church’s care.
· Work with children’s and student ministry leaders to develop a ministry to parents to equip and to encourage them to be the primary spiritual leaders of their children.
· Coordinate planning to lead the next generation to experience authentic worship, community, and bonding personally, with their families, with the full church body, and with the student group.
· Actively share the gospel and coordinate a strategy for reaching the next generation with the gospel, leading them to faith, baptizing them into the body, growing them into maturity in Christ, and sending them to live in obedience to the commands and mission of Christ.
· Lead the next generation to be locally, nationally, and internationally engaged in mission efforts.
· Oversee the weekly small groups and discipleship groups for children and students, including the selection of teaching materials and the development of the program in accordance with the second bullet point under the FAMILY MINISTRY heading.
· Partner with men’s and women’s ministry leaders in discipleship strategy.
· Equip and connect the younger generation to function as full church members, to fill church leadership roles, and to participate in the ministries of the full church.
· Enlist, disciple, equip, and motivate leaders to serve in the ministry to the next generation.
· Schedule and lead regular times of training for parents, volunteers, and staff.
· Plan, coordinate, communicate and/or oversee occasional events and activities to assist in fulfilling the disciple-making mission and to help build community among the next generation ministry members and leaders.
· Lead a core planning team in annual, prayer-filled, strategic planning for the next generation ministry.
· Coordinate weekly ministries and special events that accomplish the mission of the church and the next generation ministry.
· Create and administer the annual budget for the ministry.
· Establish protocols that protect the physical, spiritual, and emotional well-being of students, volunteers, and leaders.
· Develop and implement an education strategy for the church that supports the overall vision and mission of the church and exposes members to the whole counsel of the Word of God.
· Ensure that effective attendance records (including the contact information of all attendees) are kept and then loaded into the church management system.
· Lead in the process of choosing and implementing curricula for all ages of education.
· Provide leadership for the VBS Committee to recruit and train leaders for the annual Vacation Bible School.
· Shepherd and care for the needs of volunteer church teachers.
· Coordinate outreach efforts for the education ministries of the church.
· A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent ministry degree. A Master of Divinity degree (in progress or completed) is preferred.
· Growing Christian faith and character
· Ministry experience – 3 or more years in ministry is preferred.
· Good verbal and written communication skills
· Comfortable speaking before large groups
· A desire to teach and mentor
· Ability to use technology in ministry.
We are excited to learn more about each candidate and discover the person God has selected for this position. In addition to your resume, please provide your responses to the questions below. Please email your resume and the responses, Include the words “Next Generation” in your subject line.
1. Tell us about your salvation experience.
2. Provide an example of how your position as family pastor connects to pastoral care.
3. Please share your calling by God to family ministry.
4. What three characteristics would you consider most important for a Next Generation and Family Discipleship Pastor?
5. Describe a time where you faced a challenge from either a staff member or a member of the congregation; include how you overcame the issue and what you learned from it.