The NextGen Pastor at All Saints’ Church (ASC), the Cathedral church of the Anglican Diocese in New England, will be someone who is deeply stirred to see young people in New England come to know Jesus and make him known as missional disciples. The NextGen Pastor will invest in relationships with young people and parents, equipping them to be disciples of Jesus in a post-Christian context. This person will be someone who values and understands and is deeply committed to the process of developing young people as disciples of Jesus from both Christian and non-Christian homes. The NextGen Pastor will incarnate the Gospel among youth and families in their contexts.
ASC believes that the Gospel and beauty of Jesus Christ can capture the hearts, affections, and imaginations of the next generation in post-Christendom. The ASC NextGen Pastor will be a key leader and culture-maker at ASC, rallying a broad set of stakeholders and resources to ensure the youth in and around our community are invited into God’s story for the renewal of all things.
Builder: ASC has an existing elementary-age program called “Catechesis of the Good Shepherd,” as well as a Middle School Youth Group, but this is a moment and an opportunity to re-vision these ministry programs within the context of an overarching discipleship pathway that mobilizes missional disciples. The NextGen Pastor will be an entrepreneur who can cast vision, rally others, and build teams to relentlessly and creatively pursue fulfillment of that vision.
Disciple-maker: Young people will draw other young people into a deeper relationship with Jesus. The NextGen Pastor will lead our Christian youth to develop and own their faith by putting into practice the first and second commandment (to grow in Holy Love), on mission with him.
Outreach-oriented: This is not a cerebral, administrative or managerial role, and it’s not for serving the youth from Christian families alone. The NextGen Pastor will be hands-on, spending the vast majority of their time engaged with youth in their context. They will create multiple environments for pre-Christian youth to explore the Christian faith in safe and hospitable ways. This person will be the quintessential fun, outgoing, charismatic personality that will draw young people to deeper faith in Jesus.
The NextGen Pastor is responsible for overseeing volunteer team leaders and their teams according to age, in the holistic discipleship of children, middle and high school students at ASC. This will be accomplished relationally with youth, their parents, and the church family.
1. Demonstrates a deep, personal relationship with Jesus Christ, marked by personal gospel renewal, and evidenced in daily life that exhibits the character qualities outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9, and 1 Peter 5:1-4.
2. Seeks, practices, and promotes prayer as a priority, both personally and in the life of the youth and families.
3. Open to the supernatural gifts of the Holy Spirit and dependent on the Spirit of God in life and ministry.
4. Actively applies the gospel to the issues of their everyday life; has a growing understanding of their own core hurts, idols, and areas for growth, and will obtain a Spiritual Director.
5. Exhibits biblically-based integrity and unquestionable honesty; earnestly seeking God’s will above all other possible motivations.
6. Exhibits emotional health and maturity; has an accurate self-assessment, and a healthy vulnerability that makes them a gracious and approachable person. Is able to grow in leading others into wholeness through training in inner-healing prayer
7. Reflects a balanced personal life, which provides for spiritual, physical, and emotional growth for self and family (if applicable).
8. Promotes a spirit of cooperation, accountability, and fellowship within the church body.
9. Demonstrates a passionate, heartfelt love for youth and their families and a Christ-like concern for their spiritual, physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
10. Exhibits Christ’s love by forming deep, meaningful, and honest friendships both inside and outside of the church.
11. Missionally minded by exhibiting both an awareness of and intentionality in using their everyday settings as places where they can represent Christ with their lifestyle and their words.
12. Exhibits intentionality in personally imparting their faith to others; has a passion for making disciples who make disciples.
13. Understands or is willing to grow in a sacramental worldview and enter the Anglican church through Confirmation.
1. Possess a calling and passion to reach unchurched and dechurched youth and families as well as see Christian youth within the church discipled and mobilized for mission.
2. Gifted in leadership, communicating vision, administration, relational ministry, and developing and equipping a leadership team.
3. Able to interpret, teach, and apply scripture in a way that connects the gospel to life issues.
4. Engages with and understands youth culture and can articulate tensions between orthodox Christian belief and the zeitgeist.
5. Can communicate a beautiful Gospel alternative to prevailing cultural narratives.
6. Highly relational in working with youth and partnering with parents and has an understanding of diverse parental-youth dynamics. Communicates effectively with all ages inside and outside the church.
7. Strategically minded, administratively skilled, aggressive with recruiting and team development, has a pastoral heart, and values relational ministry.
8. Experienced with ministry in a post-Christian context where a missional lifestyle is required.
9. Demonstrates a willingness and ability to partner with other churches and parachurch ministries for the advancement of the Gospel among youth and families.
10. Confronts ministry challenges and conflicts with biblical wisdom, with an aim towards restoration.
1. 2+ years Youth Ministry experience, including leadership, teaching, discipleship, and pastoral care.
2. Experienced with shaping an intergenerational, discipleship-based Youth Ministry, particularly in a post-Christian context.
3. Experience relating to teens and their families from a wide variety of family and spiritual backgrounds.
A Bachelor’s degree, and biblical training required.