Covenant Presbyterian Church (PCA) of Sun City West AZ seeks an exceptional pastor to serve as preacher, teacher, shepherd, worship leader and counselor. He should be “a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit” (Acts 6:5), well grounded in Reformed theology and able to communicate freely with people of diverse temperament and backgrounds. He should have a strong desire for Evangelism, Discipleship, and Fellowship.
CONSISTENCY OF FAITH AND DAILY WALK
In addition to meeting requirements prescribed by the PCA Book of Church Order, the candidate’s beliefs must be consistent with the Westminster Confession of Faith and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms of 1647, the Bible itself being our only infallible rule of faith and practice. His personal and professional conduct must be above reproach. Above all, he must be deeply rooted in prayer and ministry of the Word.
GIFTED PREACHER AND TEACHER
By the power of the Holy Spirit, his Biblical preaching, teaching and personal witness will lead people to spiritual growth and a greater love for Christ. Knowing salvation to be “the gift of God, not a result of works” (Eph. 2:8-9), he can articulate timeless truths of the Gospel and apply them to our lives. His preaching can reach the new Christian and the mature believer.
EVANGELISM AND MISSIONS LEADER
Covenant Presbyterian Church needs a pastor to oversee ministries of evangelism and missions. He will encourage congregational support for missionary activities and has proven his ability to design and implement a church growth program. We desire to bring the Gospel to our neighbors, welcoming people from all cultures and age groups. Covenant should be recognized as a Reformed church where God’s Word is honored and the Lord Jesus worshiped in spirit and in truth.
ABILITY TO MENTOR LEADERS
We need a pastor with a passion for developing lay leaders in training, counseling and leading church officers. He should entrust elders, deacons, staff and volunteers with appropriate responsibilities.
Our pastor will promote discipleship among our people. He will also encourage development of talents and use of spiritual gifts. He will train and equip believers for personal growth in grace and knowledge of Jesus Christ. He should show us how to apply Scripture to every area of our lives.
Our pastor must possess excellent communication skills, both written and oral. He should have well- developed abilities to listen attentively and counsel with discernment and discretion. He will visit members of the congregation as necessary (particularly shut-ins), call on visitors who request special visitation and be involved in the local community.
In consultation with the session, our pastor will develop and lead a music ministry for church worship services. Musical programs must align with and support our church mission, values and theology. To help the congregation worship joyfully before the Lord. The musical selections should embrace hymns, psalms and Spiritual songs.
1) Graduate degree from a theological seminary or divinity school
2) If not a member in good standing of the Southwest Presbytery, must be ordained or able to be ordained in the PCA.
3) Leadership experience and working with the elders
4) Proven ability to work as a servant-leader with the session, staff and volunteers
5) Experience in developing and implementing Christian education for different age groups
6) Proven ability to design and implement a church growth program without compromising our reformed beliefs.
7) Experience or understanding of the regulative principle of worship, to include historical elements of worship, liturgy and music.
8) Family support for this call to ministry
1) Prepare and deliver sermons and Bible studies
2) Lead worship services, working with the session, deacons, staff and others
3) Plan out a thematically integrated Sunday and midweek services
4) Administer the sacraments and officiate at weddings and funerals
5) Provide direction for all church ministries and Christian education
6) Develop ministries for evangelism, community outreach and missions
7) Offer counsel and spiritual guidance to church members and regular visitors
8) Mentor, develop and recruit church officers, staff and volunteers
9) Engage with our presbytery and become involved in its activities
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should send the following materials to [email protected] Candidates may also mail to:
Covenant Presbyterian Church
Attn: Pastoral Search Committee
13601 Aleppo Dr.
Sun City West, AZ 85375-4735
Please include the following:
1) Cover letter
3) List of at least 3 references – Personal, academic/pastoral
4) PCA Ministerial Data Form
5) CDs, DVDs (if available) or Internet access to your most recent sermon and a sermon of your choice.