Our pastor should:
● be biblically and theologically mature
● effectively communicate the message of our faith to individuals, small groups, and the
congregation as a whole
● be a friendly, approachable, compassionate person who will not hesitate to reach out to
minister to those in need of spiritual support or counsel
● show genuine interest in the lives of members of our congregation
● understand our current programs and procedures, but should not be afraid to
respectfully challenge them
● be knowledgeable of current events and be able to put them into a Biblical context while
remaining respectful of the congregation’s political differences and diversity
● be capable of managing multiple, and sometimes competing tasks and responsibilities
● be an active and effective supervisor of staff, and meet with staff regularly to provide
constructive feedback regarding the performance of their duties
● be supportive and understanding of the church’s fiscal and physical needs and
objectives, but does not need to be a champion fundraiser
● be able to work with others and bring out the best in people.
Additionally, please refer to the Leadership Qualities ranking below.
First and foremost, our pastor provides spiritual leadership, pastoral care, administrative
oversight, and organizational direction to our church through a broad program of
worship, music, preaching, teaching and fellowship consistent with our Mission and
● In consultation with the Personnel Committee, our pastor supervises and directs other
church employees, including administrative assistant, financial secretary,
communications director, Christian education director, parish associate, director of
music, and custodian, and participates with the Personnel Committee in personnel
evaluation and staffing decisions.
● Our pastor supervises the development and implementation of our Christian education,
youth group, and adult education programs and participates in these programs as
● Our pastor chairs Session meetings in accordance with the Book of Order.
● Our pastor works with the deacons, parish associate and Stephen ministers to develop
and coordinate the church’s pastoral care ministry.
● Our pastor is a key participant in our stewardship efforts and in ensuring our overall
● Our pastor is a key participant in our outreach and mission efforts to the local and larger
● Our pastor keeps the Session and congregation informed of developments at the
Presbytery and higher church levels.
● Our pastor participates in other church committee activities and meetings as necessary.
Preaching and Worship Leadership
Strategy and Vision