We are seeking a Student Pastor with a passion to serve students & their families. Strong communication, administrative, and organization skills are required. Ability to connect with Asian immigrant parents and address Asian-American youth identity issues is essential.
S/he will oversee all student programs and ministries from Junior High (6th grade), High School, and College. This includes the following areas: Student fellowship groups, student ministry staff meetings, student Sunday school, Parents Council, special events, parent education classes, recruiting and training volunteers. Sunday total attendance: 500+, Youth SS attendance: 25-35.
1. Personal Requirements
- Spiritual Formation. Displays evidence of a deep ongoing spiritual life and is passionate about the spiritual formation of students and their families.
- Highly Relational. Extroverted and develops new relationships easily. Teachable, team player with strong oral and written communication skills. Able to delegate and train people to do ministry and develop positive relationships.
- Education & Professional Development. M.A. Religious education or higher. Networking and mentorship with other Youth Ministers for encouragement and personal development.
- Report to and serve under the direction of the English Ministry Lead Pastor.
- Provide vision and direction to paid and volunteer student ministry staff.
- Participate in performance reviews and receive regular feedback from English Ministry Pastor.
3. Pastoral Responsibilities
- General Overview: To oversee and direct a comprehensive student program (grades 6 to college) designed to help students and their parents to know, love and follow Jesus Christ. You will oversee all ministries related to students with the goal of assisting the church in its overall vision as it applies to students.
- Vision and Mission: Work with student ministry staff to derive a Student and Family ministry vision and mission statements consistent with SCAC’s threefold purpose of creating disciples.
- Teaching, Preaching, and Training: As the primary preacher/teacher/trainer for the student ministry, a passion and skill to communicate God’s truth to the young generation and to recruit, train, and develop leaders among your volunteer teachers and counselors is a must.
- Missional: Promote the student ministry to the church and the local community. Administrates student STM teams and creates service opportunities for students. Develop relationships with area schools and officials. Create outreach events that appeal and draw students from the community.
- Gifted Administration: Skills in administration is required to lead student ministry: develop and oversee the student Sunday school programs and curriculum, the middle school, high school, and college fellowship programs; recruit and train volunteers; set up schedules and logistics; research and develop curriculum; oversee and support church events such as retreats and conferences. Must be able to work proficiently with minimal supervision.
- Communication/Coordination: Communication of student ministries’ issues/concerns to the pastoral staff, boards and congregation. Monthly emails to parents. Weekly emails to volunteers.
- Family Ministry: Works with Parent Council to encourage and involve parents to take up the mantle as the primary disciple makers of their children. Strong cultural competency to navigate American-born Asian and immigrant parent identity and culture
- Transitions: Coordinate with Children’s Pastor to receive incoming 6th graders (and their parents) into the student ministry. Also coordinate with Community Life Pastor to transition outgoing 12th graders (and their parents) to college and young adult programs.
- Finances: Oversee student ministry budget and expenditures. Prepare and submit an annual Student Ministry budget to supervisor for approval.