The successful candidate must be one who loves God, loves the Church, and loves people; one who is willing and able to be involved in all aspects of church and community activities, to work in partnership with our Youth Minister, and to lead while emphasizing delegation and teamwork. We seek a minister who is energetic, growth-minded, open to new ideas, and who puts a personal relationship with Christ above all else.
The Senior Minister will work with the General Board and lay leaders to develop an overall vision and direction for the congregation, providing spiritual guidance and administrative leadership.
The Senior Minister will work with the recognized committee teams, providing leadership, generating and encouraging new ideas, and acting as a resource to help the teams achieve their goals and duties.
- Serve as head of staff for ministerial and support staff; lead weekly staff meetings, work with staff members to set goals, providing feedback, encouragement and discipline, as needed; monitor staff-related expenses and budgets, where applicable.
- Preach and lead worship weekly; prepare and deliver Biblically sound, thoroughly researched and well-prepared sermons; coordinate with the Elders to schedule worship participation; provide resources and encouragement to the Worship Committee, and other committees as needed, to plan and execute seasonal worship themes; lead in special worship occasions, such as dedications, welcoming new members, baptisms, and so forth.
- Provide leadership and guidance for and to the General Board; work with lay leaders to set agendas and guide discussions with committees, plus, provide guidance and materials to lay leaders in the training and expectations of their committee.
- Encourage and contribute to the ministry of the Elders; attend fellowship and education opportunities; support the Elders’ weekly participation in worship; provide opportunities for feedback and discussion.
- Provide insight and objectives to the Stewardship and Finance Committee; serve as a liaison between the Finance team and the staff; participate in the budgeting process, supporting the various committees as they make decisions about the First Christian Church’s financial resources and future objectives.
- Represent the church within the community, taking an active interest in community functions; reside within the Paris community.
- As part of the Ministerial Staff Team, the Senior Minister will participate in the total ministry of the church, sharing in responsibilities, that include: following up with guests and prospective members; hospital visitation; pastoral care and counseling; teaching in Adult Sunday School and other educational church venues: performing funerals and weddings; and doing other duties as requested and appropriate.
- Trust and Integrity: Is a person of deep and vibrant faith; is regarded as dependable; is considered trustworthy; is committed to being fiscally responsible; honors confidentiality.Interpersonal Relationships: Relates well to all ages of people; builds relationships with all members of the congregation; is regarded as a team player; is considered personable and approachable; is open to new ideas.
- Communication: Is an excellent communicator across a variety of mediums; is technologically adept and can use it to communicate effectively; can articulate thoughts and ideas clearly; is comfortable speaking in front of groups, large or small.
- Team Player: Possesses a collaborative spirit; works well with other staff, ministry team members, and congregation; desires to serve rather than being served; equips lay people to become leaders; is willing to help out wherever is needed; works well under pressure; is open to feedback and evaluation.
- Organizing: Can gather and organize resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done; can orchestrate multiple activities to accomplish goals; can use resources efficiently and effectively; meets deadlines.
- Desire to grow: Is a self-motivator; focuses on continuing education and self–improvement efforts; pursues an active and spiritual life; takes self-care seriously.
- Shall perform such other duties and functions as may be directed, or requested, by the General Board and or the Staff Relations Committee.
The above listed Essential Functions and Core Competencies are not meant to be all inclusive and may be altered from time to time.
The Senior Minister must be accountable to God, as well as to the First Christian Church General Board, the Elders, and ultimately to the congregation for successful completion of the duties and expectations.
Master of Divinity preferred; minimum of Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in religion or a related field of study; however, consideration will be given to candidates with bachelor’s degrees in other areas with appropriate preaching/ministry experience.
Minimum of three years in preaching/ministry
Total compensation package ≥ $80,000 consists of allocations for base salary, housing allowance, health insurance, mileage allowance, and retirement contributions. A regular budget for professional development and a pastoral education fund are also available.
Resumes/cover letters may be submitted via mail or email to Search Committee.