The Head of Staff will join us at an exciting time in the life of our church. We are a debt-free church that has recently completed two successful capital campaigns. The Head of Staff will help us reach our full potential and achieve greater community impact. Morningside doesn’t have it all figured out, but we’re proud of the direction in which we’re headed. While we have a solid strategic plan, we are eager to finetune our vision and mission.
The Head of Staff has a rich opportunity to help Morningside harness the positive, boundless energy of our talented congregation. We are seeking someone who will:
- live as a true servant of God and smartly integrate word, music and story-telling narrative in a traditional worship service
- energetically lead us in being the best version of ourselves
- be a doer, an entrepreneur and a bold leader
- serve alongside us in the community
- propel Morningside’s tradition of being a pioneer in embracing diversity and inclusion (e.g., female clergy, LGBTQ)
- help us refine, reach and exceed our vision and goals
Morningside – the church, the preschool and the community – is a special place, and we are excited to embark on this bright future together.
We feel fortunate to be in the heart of a vibrant, intown, progressive Atlanta neighborhood. We have all the amenities and opportunities of a major metropolitan area, as well as a very strong sense of community and quaintness that is often associated with small-town America. That, coupled with our endearing on-site preschool, provides a pipeline of new young professional members and positions us for a period of incredible growth.
Our ideal Head of Staff will be able to move seamlessly between, and minister equally to, our many constituents: the millennial preschool parents, the dual working parent families, the LGBTQ couple, the professional empty nesters, seniors and singles of all ages.
The Head of Staff will feel at home in a culture that is best described as intellectually passionate, warm and inclusive. Our members are well-educated, curious, energetic and talented. They count on our unique combination of traditional worship and progressive theology to nourish them every Sunday. The head of staff will be innovative in challenging our members’ curiosity and energy to grow our church.
Some specific characteristics that are important for our next leader include:
- spiritually mature
- inspiring and relatable speaker, leader, person
- a good listener and effective communicator
- connects with people easily and enthusiastically
- organized and able to dig in to day-to-day administrative tasks
- a doer in the community
Tasks and Responsibilities:
Our Head of Staff will be directly responsible for the following:
- Staff management and development of 5-7 employees (associate pastor, children’s ministry director, music director, preschool director, facilities manager and office manager)
- Moderator of the Session
- Support the ministry of the Deacons
- Worship planning and leadership
- Pastoral care
- Articulation of the vision of the church’s future
- Strategic plan implementation
- Oversight of church financial processes of stewardship and commitment
- Congregational guidance
- Expanding the borders of our church by increasing membership and community outreach