The Vice President of Advancement leads the institutional advancement program of the Seminary in keeping with the institution’s overall strategic plan. S/he oversees all fundraising (annual fund, major gifts, grants, planned giving, endowment and capital campaigns) and constituent programs (alumni/ae, church and community relations). S/he ensures that the Seminary develops and maintains positive partnerships that create both a community benefit and a culture of support for the Seminary. Minimum of five years of development experience; bachelor’s degree required with advanced degree preferred. Preference given to CFRE with educational and/or religious, nonprofit experience.
The Vice President of Advancement works with the president, the trustee advancement committee and other advancement staff to identify, cultivate, and solicit friends and alumni/ae in support of the Seminary’s mission. S/he will represent the Seminary in churches and other religious settings. S/he assures that all gifts are properly and accurately recorded and acknowledged and that accurate fundraising reports are provided to the president and trustees on a regular basis.
S/he oversees the Seminary’s interface with the public, including all appeals, publications, publicity and marketing, and web site design to ensure that the Seminary presents a uniform identity and consistent messages with regard to the school’s mission and priorities.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to execute each essential job function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
* Bachelor’s degree, with advanced degree preferred
* At least five years of development experience, with preference given to a CFRE with educational and/or religious nonprofit experience
* Demonstrated administrative, management and supervisory skills
* General knowledge of fund development databases and the ability to analyze data to support fundraising strategies
* Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities and give careful attention to detail
* Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
* Media relations and public relations experience
* Proven ability to handle confidential material accurately and with sensitivity
* Adept at working flexibly in a team environment
* Ability to work in a multicultural and diverse environment
* Proficiency with personal computers and other office technology.
Candidate must be self-motivated, be knowledgeable about all aspects of fund development, experienced in making major gift solicitations, and have demonstrated skills in organizing and motivating volunteers.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Plan annual goals and objectives for the institutional Advancement Office.
* Develop program strategy and oversee its implementation to achieve department goals.
* Directly manage relationships with 50-75 donors and prospects annually, with the goal of obtaining $250,000-$500,000 in annual philanthropic support. Oversee endowment/planned gifts program.
* Complete the campaign The Way Forward already underway with a $6 million goal for current projects and an additional $3 million goal for planned gifts.
* Cultivate key pastors, alumni/ae, and churches for positive relations and financial support, staff alumni/ae advisory committee and events.
* Manage a portfolio of current, renewal and prospective foundations throughout the year.
* Research grant-making prospects and match funding objectives with the goals and needs of the Seminary.
* Provide timely advice and information on funding opportunities, requirements and procedures.
* Write grant proposals, utilizing the services of a part time grant writer, as needed.
* Participate in executive staff meetings.
* Serve as representative of the Seminary as needed in concert with the president, the vice president of academic affairs/dean, and the chair of the Board of Trustees.
* Serve as liaison with the Board of Trustees Advancement Committee.
* Manage department budget.
* Supervise director of marketing and communication.
* Collaborative support position responsible for directing and implementing Seminary promotions, public relations, publications, media relations, website content management, advertising and marketing in support of Seminary programs, personnel, events, initiatives including admissions, recruitment, academics, fundraising.
Supervise stewardship manager.
* Support position to manage the receipt, posting, and acknowledgment of all gifts and donations, oversee of prospects and donor records (individuals, foundations, businesses and churches), and conduct prospect research for the identification, cultivation and solicitation of gifts.
Supervise Campaign Relations Coordinator
* Collaborative support position for hosting events related to the campaign and for developing positive relationships and financial support of the campaign goals.
* Manage relationships with Interim Campaign Coordinator and Campaign Consultants, and as necessary with contract staff and other consultants.
Secondary Job Functions:
* Other duties as assigned.
* Maintain professional growth and development in the field.
* Service to community and church as appropriate.
* Director of marketing and communication; stewardship manager; campaign relations
* coordinator; administrative assistant (shared with business office); volunteers on ad hoc basis.
Lancaster Theological Seminary does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, age, creed, marital status, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, affectional preference, or veteran or citizenship status. Lancaster Seminary also acts affirmatively to attain a more balanced representation of under-represented racial and ethnic minorities.
Applicants should send letter of interest, resume and list of three references to Ms. Elizabeth Bennett at Lancaster Theological Seminary. Applicants will be considered as materials are received and position will be filled
Job Type: Full-time