Community United Methodist Church in Virginia Beach is immediately seeking a worship leader/Worship Tech Lead to plan and lead music in the modern service and oversee the tech team for both the modern and traditional services. Interested applicants should submit a 5-10 minute video of their work along with their resume. This is a full time, salaried position with benefits. Salary to begin at $36,000. We are open to considering a suitable committed part-time candidate at an hourly rate. Interested applicants should submit their resume and video via email.
The incumbent assists the pastors by developing, promoting, and managing the church’s modern
worship service, supervises the live streaming of both the traditional and modern services, and
provides leadership/supervision of the volunteers involved in the modern worship team and tech
team. Additional duties may include helping to coordinate special worship services during the
church year, assisting with wedding ceremonies and memorial services, and other related
The Worship Leader is under the direct supervision of the Senior Pastor.
Duties and Essential Job Functions
1. Plans and coordinates musical and technical aspects of the modern worship service, in
conjunction with the pastors, to include the following activities:
a. Researches and selects music for the worship service
b. Recruits, directs, and manages the modern worship team
c. Leads more than half of the congregational singing of worship songs and trains volunteers to lead others. d. Leads, coordinates and trains the full tech team, including ProPresenter computer support, Livestream computer, sound system computer, and any additional technical aspects used to support the worship services
e. Serves as subject matter expert on A/V software and equipment
f. Maintains subscriptions to CCLI and other necessary licensing software
2. Leads modern worship team and tech team in at least one regularly scheduled practice weekly when worshiping in person
3. Attends and participates in weekly staff meetings
4. Assists with worship-related activities during meetings of the United Methodist Youth Fellowship, as requested by pastoral staff
5. Serves as a resource to other staff members by providing worship-related research, programming, and stewardship assistance as requested
6. Creates the weekly announcements and worship service presentations projected onto the
overhead display monitor in the sanctuary and the livestream presentations using ProPresenter or other computer software
7. Receives and monitors requests for A/V support for activities or services within the church, and arranges for such services to be provided
8. Prepares and manages a budget for this ministry area
9. Communicates with other staff members and coordinators in planning and carrying out worship services and worship related tasks
Other Job Duties and Functions
Additional duties and functions may be assigned to the Worship Leader by the Staff Parish
Relations Committee to ensure the worship ministry of the church supports the church’s vision
The Worship Leader must possess a strong Christian faith and adhere to United Methodist
theology and worship practices. Proven leadership and organizational skills in leading worship
are desired. Personal characteristics must include an energetic, warm personality with a passion
for worship. Strong communication skills must be evident in both interpersonal conversations
and public speaking. The Worship Leader must conduct him/herself professionally at all times.
Technical expertise using various presentation software such as ProPresenter, A/V recording,
and A/V software is strongly preferred. Technical expertise using commonly used computer
software is required. Likewise, expertise in using instrumentation, sound equipment, and worship
media is also required. Skills in leading worship music while playing guitar or keyboard, while
not required, are very desirable.
A bachelor’s degree in a related course of study is preferred for this position. A successful
background check is required at the start of employment and periodically afterward as deemed
necessary by the Staff Parish Relations Committee.