Position Objective: To provide leadership to the contemporary worship ministries of the Shenendehowa United Methodist Church, helping Shen UMC reach our mission of connecting people to Christ and community.
Position Description: The worship leader will be responsible for the music at our Sunday morning contemporary worship service and other special programs. Although the senior pastor is ultimately the person who sets the theme and overall direction, the worship leader will oversee and coordinate all the musical details that a service encompasses as well as offer input into the other aspects of the service. The worship leader must be a visionary who is creative in leading people to God. The worship leader is a person who can communicate a direction in a way that inspires those around him/her to join in the pursuit of that vision. This position requires the individual to build a worship band/team who will serve as volunteers in this ministry. This is a 10 hr/wk position.
- A clear testimony of faith in Jesus Christ and a vital, growing personal relationship with Him.
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and worship philosophy of Shen UMC.
- Demonstrated excellence as a worship leader, i.e. has established and grown a music ministry over the past 5 years.
- A Christ-like heart as well as a musician.
- A heart for the spiritual formation of those in the congregation and the worship ministry.
- Relational skills and an enthusiastic presence for leading a growing church in worship.
- Skilled in choral, vocal, and instrumental performance and direction.
- Skilled in organization, administration, and interpersonal relationships.
- Skilled in the use of technology in worship and in the use of sound, lighting, computers, ProPresenter, and projection.
- A self-starter
- A team player with a positive attitude.
- Maintain an authentic and growing walk with Jesus Christ through the ongoing spiritual disciplines of Bible reading, prayer, personal worship, fasting, confession, and fellowship.
- Build the necessary teams to carry out the contemporary worship areas of Shen UMC.
- Help plan the contemporary worship services of Shen UMC in consultation with the Senior Pastor and do so with prayer, conceptual forethought, theological accuracy, and musical appropriateness. Ensure that all the musical aspects of the service advance the theme for the day. Oversee song selections and coordination of all instrumentalists and vocalists.
- Serve as lead worshiper in our contemporary worship service.
- Direct all weekly activities and rehearsals necessary to facilitate worship in services.
- Recruit, coach and build relationships with volunteer musicians for worship services.
- Set annual goals along with lead pastor for the contemporary worship ministry that are in line with our vision and then evaluate how those goals were attained or modified during the year.
***It is not the purpose of this job description to be a rigid set of rules, but rather a set of guidelines, which can grow and change when necessary for a more effective accomplishment of the ministry of the church.