QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- A dedicated Christian exhibiting a personal and growing relationship with God, a teachable spirit, and a healthy family life.
- Has the desire and ability to lead individuals, particularly youth (6th through 12th grade) to Christ, to help them grow in their faith, and train them to use their gifts and talents in service for Christ.
- Willing to be a member of FCC and to be fully involved in the life of our community as well as being familiar and in agreement with the Church vision, goals, basic beliefs and form of government of FCC.
- Interpersonal and relational skills necessary for working with teens and their families.
- Fun, energetic, community-minded and culturally relevant.
- Able to use technology and social media appropriately in order to connect with others.
- Be a living part of the church family in giving time, talent, and resources to drive the local church in its mission, vision, and purpose.
To help further clarify our general expectations for a Director of Youth Ministries the emphasis will be high school and middle school. Primary responsibilities will include:
- Provide overall vision and direction of youth ministry at FCC in alignment with FCC’s vision and values and Senior Pastor’s leadership, working with Discipleship Coordinator and Youth Ministry Team.
- Oversee entire youth ministry ensuring safety of students and adults alike. This entails creating and administering a Protection Program for children and youth in conjunction with Director of Children’s Ministries, including keeping files and records of all background checks for ministry volunteers.
- Be responsible for coordinating and overseeing a program of outreach, Christian education and discipleship for Middle Schoolers and High Schoolers.
- The program shall be designed and structured to minister to both the youth in the Church and to reach out to the unchurched youth and their families in our community.
- Right now we do this through our Wednesday Night Ministry and Sunday school and hope to maintain that unless evidence supports a change to that schedule.
- We expect this individual to teach/lead as well as schedule leaders and teachers as a team.
- We also expect year-round activities for youth to invite friends that are intended to be fun and relational building approximately monthly.
- Support parents in effectively fulfilling their Christian parenting roles, in concert with other staff. Keep parents updated on ministry strategies and plans in a way that encourages partnership and involvement.
- Be responsible for integration of the youth ministries into the total life and ministry of the Church. The intent is that the youth are an integral part of the total Church.
- Plan and coordinate activities for the middle and high school students to avoid conflicts with all Church activities.
- Make a concerted effort to involve the youth in these activities.
- Develop, submit, and stay within youth ministry budget.
- Be responsible for both encouraging and developing one-on-one relationships with youth and their families which includes attending student events outside of FCC programs.
- Recruit, train, supervise, and encourage volunteer leadership in Youth Ministry.
- Identify, evaluate, and procure age-level curriculum resources as needed.
- Oversee the planning and organization of youth camps/retreats and various other youth activities. To the extent permitted by schedule and other commitments, the Director shall participate in these activities.
- The Director reports directly to the Senior Pastor and Church Board.
- The Director meets regularly with other staff to plan and coordinate the youth ministries of the Church.
- Makes periodic reports as directed by the Senior Pastor to the Board and other leadership groups.
- Keeps the congregation informed about the hopes, concerns and needs of the youth both through direct reports and via articles and notices in the Sunday bulletins, church email, facebook and church newsletter.
- Regularly attend the Sunday worship services and other regularly scheduled meetings of the congregation. As directed by the Senior Pastor, assist in the leadership in these services.
- Participate in training opportunities and continuing education and attend at least one conference each year approved by Senior Pastor.
- Any other duties assigned by the Senior Pastor or Personnel Team.
- Shall be paid a salary of $17,472 per year. The Director will work 16 hours per week on average.
- The Director will have an adequate budget for conference and continuing education expenses.
The Director of Youth Ministries shall have performance reviews as follows:
- At three months with the Personnel Team and Senior Pastor
- At six months with the Senior Pastor
- At twelve months and annually thereafter with the Personnel Team
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by those contracted to do this job. This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with this position.
Marcus Lynn – Phone: (859) 753-0598