Greenridge Baptist Church is seeking a Youth Pastor. This man must be a biblically grounded, energetic, highly motivated, team builder with ministry experience who will love our middle and high school students and lead them to grow in their commitment to King Jesus. The Youth Pastor must embrace and champion the church’s mission to CONNECT with God, GROW in Christ, SERVE all people, and SHARE the gospel.
The Youth Pastor must be a man committed to Jesus as Lord and Savior, to personal spiritual disciplines, and to building up the body of Christ. He should have experience and success in building and training a team of leaders. He should have a balanced view of the importance of both outreach and discipleship.
Greenridge Baptist Church is a mid-sized, multi-generational, and multi-ethnic community of believers that worships together in Boyds, Maryland. It is a member church of the Southern Baptist Convention and the Baptist Convention of Maryland/Delaware. The church accepts the Baptist Faith and Message 2000 as the general outline of its theological positions, and it enthusiastically supports the Kingdom-building work of the International Mission Board and the North American Mission Board of the SBC.
This pastor must help champion and protect the broader mission of the church and the fulfillment of its God-given purposes. He must demonstrate a commitment to the core values of the church and seek to integrate the Youth Ministry into the ongoing pursuit of the unique calling and vision of Greenridge as a church body. He should seek out and create opportunities for the youth to serve and function as an integral part of the broader church.
This pastor must communicate frequently and relate well with parents. The establishing and strengthening of God-honoring relationships with students and their parents must remain a top priority in the planning of his time.
This pastor must have the ability to recruit, equip, and release both adults and students into ministry, and delegate effectively. He must be able to build, maintain, and grow a student ministry leadership team that includes youth and adult leaders who display a love for God, a commitment to students, and who qualify as biblical role models. He must be able to provide the necessary training to equip them for service and student ministry.
This pastor must be able to help all students and ministry leaders grow in their personal relationship with God and in their knowledge, understanding, and application of biblical truth in their daily lives. A love and respect for God’s Word must be central to all aspects of his ministry and regularly cultivated among the youth. He must consistently make opportunities for the teaching and application of God’s Word.
This pastor must always be looking for a variety of ways to provide regular opportunities for our students to reach out to other students in our community in order to share the love and hope of Christ. These outreach events and activities should provide the opportunity for relationship building, serving and the invitation to receive Christ as Lord and Savior.
This pastor must give students regular opportunities to grow through short-term mission trips and service projects. A balanced offering of trips and projects appropriate for each age, experience, and maturity level must be provided in order to meet students where they are and challenge them to take their next step.
As one of the pastors of the church, this man must be accountable to the biblical qualifications for an overseer and elder given by the Apostle Paul in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. Though his immediate area of responsibilities will be the Youth Ministry, this pastor will also work with the other pastors to lead and love the whole congregation through participation in the administration of Communion and Baptism, counseling, member care, teaching, and speaking into the decision-making processes of the church with wisdom and humility.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Master’s degree from an accredited seminary is preferred – bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Bible or Youth Ministry
- Two years or more of experience in leading a multi-staff/volunteer student ministry
- Must be aware of and experienced in current youth culture
- Must be ordained or willing to be ordained
- Directly oversee and participate in the Youth Ministry
- Set the direction of and establish goals for the Youth Ministry through a God-guided vision.
- Build and lead a team of student and adult volunteers to carry out this vision for the Youth Ministry.
- Create targeted programming for middle school and high school
- Take responsibility for the recruitment, equipping, and development of all middle school and high school adult volunteer staff
- Plan and organize a balanced yearly calendar for the Youth Ministry in the areas of evangelism, discipleship, service, worship, and fellowship
- Recommend curriculum for Sunday morning, Monday evening, and Wednesday evening Youth Ministry activities for both middle and high school students
- Organize and attend opportunities for students to serve in service projects and mission trips
- Work with the Children’s Ministry Director to establish a well-planned transition for elementary students moving into middle school during the months of June and July
- Work with the Lead Pastor to establish a well-planned transition for high school seniors graduating into the Young Adult Ministry
- Maintain regular leadership team meetings for both middle school and high school to review previous months, plan for the upcoming months, and engage in long-term planning and vision
- Seek out opportunities to spend time with middle and high school students outside of planned youth events by way of telephone, email, attending practices and/or games, graduations, important events, etc. Do likewise with their parents/families
- Establish a positive and regular flow of communication between student leadership and the parents of all middle and high school students
- Operate a balanced yearly budget for all ministry programming
OVERALL CHURCH RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Attend and participate in weekly staff meetings and pastors meetings
- Attend and participate in regular ministry leader meetings and church business meetings
- Actively participate in and enthusiastically support all events that involve the total church body
- Maintain a current accounting of and exercise oversight for all expenditures in your areas of responsibility
- Participate in weekend services as required
- Other duties as assigned
RELATION TO THE STAFF:
- The Youth Pastor reports directly to the Lead Pastor and is accountable to the Elders and Personnel Team
WHAT TO INCLUDE IN YOUR APPLICATION:
- A photograph of you and your family if applicable
- Cover letter explaining why you are interested in this position
- Video or audio sample of you addressing a group in a ministry setting
- A list of all public social media accounts
- At least three references from people who have first hand knowledge of your passion, experience, and impact as a leader in the areas and duties detailed in this job description