Oakland Presbyterian Church is looking for a part-time youth director that will oversee the ministry of our congregation for grades 6 through 12. This person will plan and lead regular youth gatherings on Wednesdays and Sundays, meetings, organize and plan trips to various camps, conferences and mission events. This person should also be flexible, open to new ideas and have the ability to set and keep boundaries for respectful and appropriate interactions with others.
General Description of the Work:
The Youth Director will oversee the ministry of our congregation with teenage youth, traditionally known as “youth group,” or “youth fellowship.”
1. Strong faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord
2. Ability to provide relational leadership to youth
3. Facility with modern technology and social media
4. Good people skills, with the ability to work with a variety of people and age groups
5. Ability to set and keep boundaries for respectful and appropriate interactions with others.
6. Flexibility, with an openness to new ideas
7. Passing of a background check conducted by the church
1. College degree or three to five years experience working with youth
2. Experience in a Presbyterian or other mainline church tradition
3. Familiarity with various youth curricula, Bible studies, and other resources
4. Good organizational skills
5. Ability to recruit helpers and delegate.
1. Plan and lead the regular youth fellowship gatherings or meetings in the framework of the established youth ministry programs of our church for students in grades 6-12.
2. Work with other leaders to implement events and activities planned by the youth leadership team.
3. Oversee the publicity for youth events through the newsletter, bulletin, digital, social media, etc.
4. Serve as an ex-officio member of the Christian Education Committee.
5. Organize and plan trips of the youth group to camps, conferences, presbytery events, and work/mission events.
6. Recruit volunteers for various jobs or tasks in the church’s youth ministry.
7. Keep appropriate records and files, both electronic and hard copies.
8. Comply with the appropriate safety and security guidelines set by Session.
9. Help organize community outreach events and programs involving the youth.
10. Attend church staff meetings.
11. Attend Oakland Presbyterian’s worship every week to set an example for the youth.
12. Encourage our youth to be in Sunday school and worship on a weekly basis.
13. As time allows, attend individual events of our youth, such as school plays and sporting events.
14. Relate regularly and effectively with students, parents/guardians, volunteers, other staff, church members, and the public.
15. Other duties that may be assigned from time to time by the pastor, Director of Christian Education (DCE), or Session.
The Youth Director shall be under the guidance and direction of the Session and shall be under the direct supervision of the Director of Christian Education (DCE). The Youth Director will work closely with the Christian Education Committee and report regularly to the committee.
If you are interested in the position or need more information, please email to the Director of Christian Education, Tiffany Goggans