Christ Church in Short Hills, NJ, a vibrant, growing, diverse suburban parish in the Diocese of Newark, is seeking a full-time Assistant Rector to engage adults in the congregation, nurture partnerships in the community, develop new initiatives from your gifts, and share in clergy and sacramental leadership.
This is a call to:
- Help lead and shape worship with the Rector, staff, and worship committee. Excellent and varied preaching is valued by the congregation (the founder of the Episcopal Preaching Foundation is a member!) We use Rite II and EOW Eucharist on Sundays and have sung Morning Prayer on the 5th Sunday and seasonal Evensong. The Assistant Rector oversees Prayers of the People, the Prayer List, and offers monthly Eucharist at a local retirement community.
- Work alongside adults from 20 to 100 to help them grow in their faith, identify and utilize their spiritual gifts, and embrace loving care. The Assistant Rector will focus on welcoming newcomers, engaging members, recruiting volunteers, and liaise with lay leaders who coordinate parish life events and outreach ministries. We are a multicultural and regional parish committed to diversity and inclusion. 2021-2022 will include special events for our 140th
- Primary coordinator of parish pastoral care (developing a nascent pastoral care team and reviving our pre-pandemic healing prayer ministry) and adult education offerings for a highly intellectual and theologically progressive congregation (teaching forums, leading a small group, and coordinating with EFM and existing small groups). Develop new avenues for involvement for newcomers, interfaith families, parents, commuters, recently retired, etc.
- Get to know, get involved, and form partnerships in the local community, Diocese of Newark and/or national Episcopal Church, and online/social media
- Work collaboratively with the Rector, a wonderful staff, creative vestry, and the Holy Spirit to serve the parish and help develop new initiatives and experiments!
Generous compensation package meets all Diocese of Newark guidelines (or higher) for cash stipend, housing allowance, business expenses, continuing education, and a full parish health insurance policy. Newly ordained to experienced clergy from the Episcopal Church, Anglican Communion or other churches in full communion are invited to send a cover letter, resume, sermon, and OTM Portfolio by email. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Preferred start in January 2023.