General Description of Duties
Coram Deo Church in Omaha, Nebraska, is seeking an experienced pastor to help facilitate gospel-driven care & counseling in our church. The ideal candidate for this role is a seminary- trained man with a decade or more of local-church ministry experience; he also has the disposition and desire to work on a team alongside our existing Pastor of Care & Counseling. The right leader will be a gifted shepherd, thinker, and counselor who is grounded in historic Reformed orthodoxy and committed to the Apostles’ and Nicene creeds and The Gospel Coalition foundation documents.
- Provide counseling and pastoral care to the church body; refer to outside counselors as necessary
- Provide additional church-wide leadership as needed (being present and leading together as a team with the rest of the Coram Deo leaders)
- Help train & equip church members for effective person-to-person ministry
- Hold up the Bible’s ideal for marriage and family, and instill vision for it throughout our entire church
- Develop leaders
- Fulfill the responsibilities of an Elder at Coram Deo Church
- Other duties & responsibilities as assigned
- Essential knowledge, experience, and ability (qualifications):
- A wise, mature Christian man who meets the biblical qualifications for eldership given in 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1
- Deep personal godliness; rich communion with the Father, Son, & Holy Spirit
- M.A. from an accredited seminary
- Effective and experienced as a leader of leaders
- Joyfully affirms historic Reformed evangelical theology
- Conversant in gospel-centered biblical counseling as practiced by CCEF & others
- Pastor and his wife lead their own family well and provide a faithful model of a Christian home
- Coram Deo Church’s history, ministry, and resources
- The Gospel Coalition and its Theological Vision for Ministry
- CCEF’s counseling model: David Powlison, Ed Welch, Paul Tripp, etc.
- Tim Keller’s book Center Church
- Bowen systems theory as applied to congregations (see the work of Edwin Friedman,
- Peter Steinke, Jack Shitama, R. Robert Creech)
Define the Win: What does success look like?
- Coram Deo members feel loved, cared for, and personally connected to their pastors
- Coram Deo has a thriving gospel culture – people are repenting of sin, breaking free from idols, worshiping Jesus more deeply, and glorifying God with their lives
- Coram Deo is “in the conversation” about gospel counseling, growing and developing a body of knowledge and practice
- We’re “extending our pastoral reach,” more effectively shepherding every soul in our congregation
- Coram Deo is known as a church where marriage is held in high esteem and where biblical parenting is taught and modeled
How will I be evaluated?
- On the quality of Coram Deo’s care & counseling ministry (by the Elders)
- On my chemistry, partnership, & collaboration with the Pastor of Care & Counseling (by the Pastor of Care & Counseling)
- On my compatibility as a team member & my contribution to Coram Deo’s mission (by the Executive Team)
Expectations and Compensation:
- 40-50 hours per week
- Salary Group C: Ministry Senior Leadership (salary commensurate with qualifications & experience; specifics available upon request)
- Benefits include health, dental, & sabbatical leave (specifics available upon request)
How To Apply
- Send a resume, a letter of interest, & a summary of your counseling philosophy/approach by email.