The Assistant to the pastor (or associate pastor) position has a broad job description which will provide a variety of experience. This position will include leading, teaching, pastoral counseling and more. In addition, you will help in recruiting, equipping and caring for the lay leaders of the church and also help the head pastor to assimilate new attenders into the church. Please note, this position is for someone who is ordained or is ordainable in the PCA.
The following characteristics are desired in the candidates personal profile:
- Ordained or Ordainable in the PCA: This is required.
- Spiritual Maturity: Loves the LORD and displays a mature, growing, repentant and joyful relationship with Him. In addition, is committed to, and passionate about small group ministries.
- Shepherds Heart: Able to pastor people in different stages of life and through various joys and trials.
- Musically Gifted- Understands music and worship from various generations and is able to lead people in the
- worship of God.
- Able Teacher: Able to teach God’s Word to large groups and small in a way that is captivating, relevant and
- Missionally Committed: Embraces the mission and emphases of Jacob’s Well and is dedicated to their promotion.
- Team Oriented: Devoted to working with staff teams, ministry teams and musical teams.
- Personable Leader: Has strong relational skills and a servant’s heart in leading others.
- Community (Relationship) Focused: Is committed to living the Christian life in the context of relationships; possesses a heart for community, extending self to others; has the ability to build and lead teams; genuinely cares for the larger community.
- Theologically Grounded: Has a solid, humble and committed understanding of reformed theology. Is Gospel Centered in their approach to justification and sanctification.
- Teachable Spirit – Has an attitude of learning and is able to engage with constructive feedback and work under the authority of a head pastor and a session of elders.
- Hospitable – Has a welcoming spirit and understands their home as an instrument for ministry.
- Technically Competent: (optional) Possesses skills and knowledge to oversee the technical areas related to worship.