The Communications Director will be responsible for the development, management, and execution of communication strategies for the church, school, and community audiences. The right individual will support church and ministry leaders by conveying the cohesive vision of Cornerstone and translating that vision into communication priorities. This position requires a person who is a strategic communications thinker, leader, creative director, problem solver, team builder, and one who takes initiative.
· Partners with ministry leaders to support their ministry initiative by developing effective communications to multiple audiences.
· Proactively collaborates with ministries to support their communication needs by soliciting information from ministry leaders to organize and plan communications in a timely manner.
· Lead and manage coordinators, assistants, and volunteers to help implement communication strategies and tactics. This includes:
o Strategize and plan communications/marketing 6-12 months in advance
o Keep social media and website fresh and engaging (draw individuals to our site)
o Develop targeted communication initiatives
o Create content marketing strategy for Cornerstone
o Own and manage the church’s brand/identity
o Network with other church communications teams
o Effectively collect and tell life-changing stories
· Cultivate, lead, and manage a team of communications ministry volunteers (writers, videographers, graphic artists, designers, etc.).
· Unify and align communication to ensure the priorities and objectives of Cornerstone are reflected in the global communication channels, helping keep focus on our message.
· Ensure high-quality and high-impact communications are created.
· Serve as scheduler/gatekeeper, keeping communication requests on time and on budget. Conversely, he/she will strive to not be an inflexible gatekeeper or bottleneck the process.
· Write and edit communication messages for use in various mediums and audiences.
· Develop communication processes and define priorities to create an environment in which messages can be communicated clearly, creatively, and effectively.
· Stay current on creative communications and technological trends and look for opportunities to use this information to communicate more effectively.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
· Have a vibrant personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
· Possess a lifestyle of Christian maturity, integrity, and discipline that serves as an example to ministry partners.
· Uphold the mission and the integrity of Cornerstone Church and the EPC.
Gifts, Skills, and Talents
· LEADERSHIP: Leader, visionary planner, ministry partner, and motivator. Lead and manage staff and volunteers to implement communication strategies. Provide leadership and management in communications and marketing through print and electronic mediums.
· COACHING/TRAINING: Educate people about procedures and processes for communicating church messages. Meet them where they are in their level of understanding and help them come to know what we do, why we do it, and how they can contribute to the overall effectiveness of church communications.
· CREATIVITY: Continually look for ways to communicate existing church-wide and ministry programs in creative ways that will evoke a response from the congregation and community.
· MARKETING/PUBLIC RELATIONS: Assess and determine the most effective ways to communicate a message to its intended audience.
· ORGANIZATIONAL/PLANNING: Understand vision cast by leadership and organize communication messages in a way that best reflects church priorities.
· RELATIONAL: Member of leadership team, while acting as an advocate for creative and clear communications. Connect with ministry leaders on a personal face-to-face and regular basis to understand their ministries’ needs and wants.
· WRITING: Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills. This individual serves as the “eyes” for all things print and electronic, looking for clear communication, brand presence, and consistency.
· DESIGN: Knows and can direct basic design principles, utilizing a variety of software such as Adobe Photoshop and InDesign.
· SOCIAL MEDIA: Strategic oversight of social media channels and posts, campaigns to push major church objectives, and outreach to new audiences in the community.
· VIDEO: Knows how to manage a video project from conception, production, working with content creators, make editorial decisions, protect and enforce style, and make sure projects are delivered on time.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
· Bachelor’s Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or related course of study.
· Minimum of 4 years of experience in communications.